Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fish tailing??

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

that affects the arrows path if they are not aligned?? i dont think they are...and if not how do i align them...cuz i cant change the nock or the insert placement...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

hello? any help with aligning the BH and the fletching...
Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

The broadhead blades and fletching don't have to be lined up...I've always heard that lining them up was an old wives tail
Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fishtailing can be caused by spine or centershot, in addition to torque. Don't worry about lining up your fletchings with bh's, that doesn't make any difference. If you are spined correctly, I'd make minor adjustments to your centershot and see how it does.

Do your field points shoot with your broadheads? Have you shot through paper to see what it looks like? What rest are you shooting...and how long are your arrows?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have thought it was the rest as well...i have not stated before but its a whisker biscuit...i think the "diameter" of the biscuit is too big...would this affect?? i just got new arrows with a much smaller diameter...my arrows are 28 inches long and no i have not shot through paper...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are fine on the bigger hole on the WB. Better big than too tight. I shoot a large hole with carbons, works great. Sounds like your arrow spine is probably ok too. My first step would be to shoot through paper and see what kind of tears you are getting. Try a fp tipped shaft first, and try to be consistent on your form. Don't grab the bow, etc. That will tell you what your arrow is doing. I usually shoot about 6-8 ft away at first, and once I get a good tear...back a little further also to see what it is doing - maybe 12 ft. My guess is you need to move your rest left or right a tad (make very small adjustments when you do). Once you have a "good" tear on paper (doesn't necc have to be perfect), shoot at 20yds and see how it looks. You may need to adjust your site. Also, shoot fp's and bh's at 20yds and see where they hit. Then broadhead tune and you should be good to go.

Here is a link to Eastons bow tuning guide. Great stuff in there.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf

Here is a link to broadhead tuning if you don't know how.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by djdkman
are your broadheads and fletching/vanes lined up?
They don't have to be. That is total myth.

Most likely bow torque.