Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First shot of the year....not a good one :( >

First shot of the year....not a good one :(

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First shot of the year....not a good one :(

Old 10-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default First shot of the year....not a good one :(

I got out yesterday morning didnt see anything at all. Sat out lastnight had a nice 9 pointer come in, about 120 class. I was looking the opposite way and then turned around and there he was staring at me. I had just looked that way no more than 20 seconds before, he had me pinned as soon as I turned. He scared the living S^%# out of me, as I couldnt hear him come in. Well he got behind a tree and I grabbed my bow. He came out from behind the tree and looked right up at me. Im like theres no way hes gonna let me draw on him. Well time went by and he got to the small corn pile that was there and put his head down, quartering towards me the entire time. 10 Minutes went by and something on the otherside of the road in the woods startled him and he brough his head up, looked west. He was now broadside at 15 yards...I drew back. Settled my pin and squeezed my release trigger. At the same time he dropped to his knees and got the hell out of there My arrow just shaved some hair off his back What would have been an excellent double lung shot, turned into a shave and a haircut... I should have known better than to even think about drawing on a deer that was already on high alert..I should have held out. Well tonight im going to sit in stand that I havent sat in yet this year and see what transpires. I baited it yesterday so they should have found it by now. I dont normally bait but this year theres been very few sightings on our property and they dont really seem to be moving real good. Right now its not looking too good at all for anything over 120. But only time will tell.