Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why oh why do I ground hunt? >

Why oh why do I ground hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why oh why do I ground hunt?

Old 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

When you don't have trees what's a guy suppose to do ?? LOL

It is flustrating, maddening and nerve racking at times but there is no other thrill like it when it comes to bowhunting deer.

You have a doe at 10 yards standing broadside begging to die... a button buck standing 2 yards facing you and peeking around you to see what is going on behind you without a clue... yep not a clue... you can't move to draw back. Maddening but at the same time... it is so hard not to giggle at the fawn.

You have a doe at 6 yards in front of you... a doe standing right behind you... You slowly pull back waiting for the latter to wreck it all. Now that is a heart pounding moment.

Biggest buck of your life is heading right at you. At the last 15 or so yards he moves out a bit. No shot at 10 yards. Your plan was for him to come by at 20 yards. Your heart is in your throat. At 12 yards he stops and you find a hole in the weeds to put your arrow though.

Coyote, fox, skunks, a seriously pissed off badger all under 5 yards.

wind swirls and a doe catches a brief whiff of you. Wind goes back the right way. She comes in to investigate. She sticks her head in your little shooting lane in the weed and then walks in. Her out stretch head is a mere foot away from your's as she is trying to get another whiff of the blob sitting there. She takes a small step forward. Her nose is 6 inches away from your's when you say BOO.

Maddening but oh what a rush/blast !!

Tim
Old 10-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

i like the last scenario there, thats great! lol
Old 10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

18 yrds. isn't much of a range. If you'd of had something more powerful you'd be sharing a deer down story.

Doesn't sound like a "ground problem" story to me. You had'm in range calm on the ground and a lot of them. Nothing to beat yourself up about as far as I'm concerned.
Your very good at ground hunting.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:02 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by BowHuntingFool
Sounds like you had a great hunt!

I've tried and tried as well with only one shot taken from the ground! Now that strictly hunting with a Longbow I'm trying even harder to stick one from the ground. I'll do this stalking/still hunting during the late season when there is snow on the ground. Too much fun!
Yep, it was exciting. Been a long time since I had my heart jumping up to 130beats a min over a deer.

I don't shoot longbow because its effective, just for the thrill. It amazing what more animals you see when you shorten your range. Where usually with a compound I would have put an arrow his way. But you never know whats behind him. Nothing today, but maybe a monster tomorrow.

I have such trouble with my swing with a longbow and my climber. I just bought that piece of land (well will next week) and have been hunting it for 10 years. I figured now since I should be owning it, I will build me a nice stand to shoot trad out of.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by nodog
18 yrds. isn't much of a range. If you'd of had something more powerful you'd be sharing a deer down story.

Doesn't sound like a "ground problem" story to me. You had'm in range calm on the ground and a lot of them. Nothing to beat yourself up about as far as I'm concerned.
Your very good at ground hunting.
If I was using my wheelie, I would have let him walk. But I guess I wouldn't be complaining about a shot solution.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by GMMAT
I want to take ONE from the ground, BC....and "go from there"....lol.

I know the "naked" feeling. I can hardly find a spot I DON'T feel exposed, still. I DO have a killer setup that I think I can make it happen. Check the red dot. Secluded beanfield......and they're tearing them up, there. I probably have a 3 week window, yet....but the wind hasn't been right once to go there in the PM. I've got a burlap blind set up there; stool....and as of Monday I'll have my tripod. If I go in there....I'll film it.

Once I take one from the ground, I don't know how much I'll do it. I honestly think it's a HUGE disadvantage.....which is what makes me wanna do it.
It is a huge disadvantage. Just seeing them alone. I just have so much trouble shooting trad in a stand. Good luck with that stand.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not many trees up here, and the ones we have would double over if I tried to climb them. Nothing like hunting from the ground and stalking your quarry on their ground. I have shot sitka blacktail and mule deer from the ground with my bow, but still have yet to hunt whitetails. I'd love to try it someday, and would like to try both ways, from the ground a from a tree.

Limiting your range with a longbow only makes it that much more difficult. Getting that close to that many deer is a success in itself in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:28 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by ArcticBowMan
Not many trees up here, and the ones we have would double over if I tried to climb them. Nothing like hunting from the ground and stalking your quarry on their ground. I have shot sitka blacktail and mule deer from the ground with my bow, but still have yet to hunt whitetails. I'd love to try it someday, and would like to try both ways, from the ground a from a tree.

Limiting your range with a longbow only makes it that much more difficult. Getting that close to that many deer is a success in itself in my opinion.
You know I have hunted newfoundland and they say its kinda like Alaska. It would be about impossible to kill a decent moose just sitting and ambushing. You got to cover land and cover as much of it as possible and wind is critical. Wind howling, so when You see an animal, thats when teh work starts. I have to admit, when I went up there, I felt like I was "hunting". I enjoyed it. Whitetails of course are different. Lots of em. Lots of dense forest. Some are experts at these stalks. I ain't.

I figured this is the way it is for you up there.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

ive had great success hunting from the ground. (stalking) havent tried much blind hunting from the ground. ive stalked and got a clean shot on 5 bucks in the past 3yrs. one being a 160 class 10pt. unfortunatley i hit him in the shoulder and didnt get much penetration. luckly he lived. we saw him late in the season walking with a slight limp. i usually only stalk when its nasty weather. really windy and or rain. moving extremely slow and trying to keep the wind in my face and hoping to see the deer first. its an unreal feeling! its much more fun than stand hunting. you are constantly on edge. i still stand hunt but stalk everytime the weather is rite.