Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Man Killed by friend in hunting accident! >

Man Killed by friend in hunting accident!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man Killed by friend in hunting accident!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cartman308
I've read somewhere that 90% or higher of hunting accidents aren't really accidents.

I tend to believe that. They more often than not are not accidents. Merely convenient excuses.
I'd like to see that data. I have a hard time beleiving that all these hunters in the woods are mearly searching for an alibi rather then game. I imagine it might happen sometimes but 90% is a high number. I'd hate to give the impression of hunters in these situations as people just looking for an excuse to commit a crime.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Accident

Don't believe and don't repeat everything the anti hunters put out there. This what they want to see people do, spread their lies in order to convince other dummies that don't know anything about the sport to get enough votes to stop hunting. We need to stand together and insist on parental responsibility before any 'kids' are allowed to hunt own their own. Frieky accidents happen and it's not only hunting accidents. Don't fuel their cause.

I've read somewhere that 90% or higher of hunting accidents aren't really accidents.

I tend to believe that. They more often than not are not accidents. Merely convenient excuses.

Last edited by jrfrmn; 10-08-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

there are some brain dead people out their hunting that sometimes shot at sound and kill people. I don't consider that a "hunting" accident. That is irresponsibility period, no excuse for it and not even close to an accident.

An accident is when you are shooting at an animal and kill a person in the next hollow....... not when a moron shoot as what he/she THINKS is a turkey/deer/ or whatever and kills what turns out to be a human.

I guess i just define an "accident" differently.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The woods are full of idiots. My best friend lost half of his penis and his right testicle to a shotgun slug. The guy who shot him dropped him off at his stand then walked acroos the cut corn field. When the third guy walked into the woods at the end of the field he spooked a doe that ran down the middle of the field. This idiot was shooting at a running doe at over 100 yards with a rifled slug out of a bird barrel, across an open field, right in the direction of a person who he just dropped off, who was wearing blaze orange coveralls.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Spike

wow, crazy stuff
Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

I can't beleive stuff like that still happens.....tragic
Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

You do have a good point there. That does seem to be the case quite often. But I still say parental responsibility!

there are some brain dead people out their hunting that sometimes shot at sound and kill people. I don't consider that a "hunting" accident. That is irresponsibility period, no excuse for it and not even close to an accident.

An accident is when you are shooting at an animal and kill a person in the next hollow....... not when a moron shoot as what he/she THINKS is a turkey/deer/ or whatever and kills what turns out to be a human.

I guess i just define an "accident" differently.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
You do have a good point there. That does seem to be the case quite often. But I still say parental responsibility!
I wouldn't repeat something i heard/read on a anti hunting media outlet (which would include most cable news stations and print media). I think that stat came from a local bowhunting agency....... i just can't remember......

Most of what are termed "hunting accidents" just don't fit the definition of an accident.......... that's why i said it's a convenient excuse. Acting irresponsibly is never an accident.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

If I was in law enforcement in that jurisdiction, I'd sure look into whether there was a motive.

In my mind you might as well say you strangled him to death because you thought he was a turkey. I don't care about lighting, conditions, etc. etc. If you are close enough to make a lethal shot, you are close enough to tell the difference between a full grown man and a bird.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nodog
No excuse for it. We're out there to hunt, but under the umbrella of safety. If a person isn't 100% sure of the target just pointing a weapon at it is disturbing enough.

I had 2 very foolish women on horses come into my scope last year. They weren't allowed in the area and to make matters worse stepped into a lane I'd seen a very nice buck minutes before. I heard a snort, raised the gun, looked down the scope, saw brown and waited for conformation only to see the head of a horse. I was shaking as these 2 idiots came by me smiling saying out loud how they could see me. My response was short and to the point "I saw you". Still disturbs me greatly.

Fortunately for me and those 2 women I shot a friend with a toy bow as a kid of about ten. The memory still haunts me. The kid suffered no injuries even though I hit him square in the back of the head, right where I was aiming. Kidding around I'd pointed the arrow at him and muttered some words, my vision went black all around except for the center of the target, unconsciously I loosed the arrow and saw it in slow motion fly straight and true. I know what happens when the brain starts to bear down on something. Unless a voice in your head starts screaming STOP, ya wont. I have a different O of kids being allowed to play with toy guns and bows as you can imagine. Saves lives in my book.

Make 100% sure of the target before beginning the shot and pray for a very loud voice in your head that constantly warns of danger. This kid obviously was not sure of his target and never should have begun the shot.

My sympathy for all involved.

Yeah and things just like what you described happen with you looking down a scope at your target is what scares a lot of people about hunting with a scope. We all do it, and I do it all the time. Very seldom carry my binos, but you are pointing a loaded weapon at something you may not want to shoot. How many of us see someone and use your scopes to figure out what they are doing? Scary!! I would say if we actually could see what is happening to us when we are in the woods we would probably turn white and put down the sport. Safety is a must, but the problem is idiots have the legal right to hunt as professional sportsman do. Sad Story on the 2 kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.