Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Newbie here... looking for new bow. >

Newbie here... looking for new bow.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie here... looking for new bow.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Althought the bowtech general is a later model bow it far superior to a lot of bows on the market today! Plus it won't leave you broke, which is great considering you still have to load the bow. Shoot one and see what you think. Thats my opinion.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Although you said you want to buy new, id look at a new or lightly used mathews switchback. Its a very popular bow.. With a more friendly price tag than the dxt or drenalin or Reezen or monster
Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HeadHunterII
.,,, I like target shooting but handgun/rifle ammo pricing is so ridiculous these days that I can either take five or six trips to the range within the next couple of months OR I can purchase a compound bow and setup and shoot for the next year without shelling out extra cash (after initial setup and such)...
Thanks!
Well, maybe. The first arrow I shot from my Bear is still out in the retention pond somewhere! I ended up losing about 6 before I got my bow and my form sorted enough to hit the target regularly! That would buy about 500 rounds for my .22! This is my first season as well, so I have a long way to go. The main thing, whatever Bow you get, is have fun!! Something about the arrow whacking the target, and hopefully a deer someday, just makes me feel good.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Recently I have shot the Bear lights out and was pretty impressed . I also shot the Showdown but to me the lights out felt better.
I also shot the PSE Brute and liked it as well. It seemed to shoot "harder" than the bears but seemed louder than the Lights Out ------just my opinion.
Also shot a Martin Bengal and Chetah and liked them both . After shooting the bows above my personal choice would have been between the PSE Brute and one of the Martins.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the ones you mention that I have shot, they would rank this way:
1. Bear Lights Out (by a decent margin)
2. Martin Cheetah
3. Bear Showdown
4. PSE Stinger

As someone else stated, I would recommend looking the used route. That is the way I got my Mathews Outback and love it! Of course, I had shot one several times before making the transaction on ebay, where I got a really good deal. Many times you will find fully setup bows used and save a good deal of money from someone who just bought another new one just to have the latest model. The Mathews Switchback and Switchback XT are great bows. Shot the both, but preferred the Outback personally. This is my first year bowhunting, and I have been shooting 3-4 times a week since late March. It is awesome! Now if I could just get a deer to wander into range...