Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Newbie here... looking for new bow. >

Newbie here... looking for new bow.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie here... looking for new bow.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default Newbie here... looking for new bow.

Ok, so here is the deal. When I was younger I owned a Bear compound. I loved shooting it. Never really got the chance to hunt anything with it. I do own an old bowhunting rig but rarely ever use it as the only thing around here to shoot at is gar fish... and I hate gar fish. lol

I am now an adult (that's what everyone tells me anyway ) and want to get into compound bow shooting for a number of reasons. I like to hunt all kinds of animals. Deer, Hogs, Rabbits, Squirrels. I like target shooting but handgun/rifle ammo pricing is so ridiculous these days that I can either take five or six trips to the range within the next couple of months OR I can purchase a compound bow and setup and shoot for the next year without shelling out extra cash (after initial setup and such)

I won't be taking the bow into the deer woods for a while as I do not think I will feel comfortable shooting at a deer until I can get my technique down and skills sharpened. I also have nowhere to hunt for the time being.

I have narrowed the choices down to a few different bows. I still have yet to shoot any of them and will be doing that when I get a chance. I will make my final choice off of the feel of the bow and will factor in what I have read here on the errornet. I just wanted some opinions, comments, pointing and laughing... you know, the usual.

I have done quite a bit of homework and know that I should be looking for a bow with atleast 7 inches of brace and an axle length around 32. I have a draw length of 28.5 ". I do not know what draw weight I will go with yet but I am thinking 65 would be good. I know I can easily draw 60 and the last time I tried 70 it was a bit tough (It was also about ten years ago and I am much stronger now).

Here are the six that I have narrowed it down to in my price range. (Would rather buy new due to warranty and such)

Bear Showdown
PSE Stinger
Martin Cheetah
Parker Wildfire XP
Bear Lights Out
PSE Brute LT

If you have any experience with any of these bows, please share it. Any and all information, opinions and comments are deeply appreciated. Also, if you know of any bows that I am overlooking, please post that as well.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Spike

HeadHunter,
If you haven't looked at the Mission bows by Mathews you should check them out they are really good bows and there price tag won't brake the bank. I shoot the Mission UX2 I started using a bow back in march and the UX2 was a great fit for me it stats are as followed:

$339.00
Specifications
IBO Rate 308 fps Let-off 70% Axle to Axle Length 33.125 in. Brace Height 7 in. String Length 57 7/8 in. Cable Length 35 7/8 in.

a buddy shoots the eliminator
$479.00
Specifications
IBO Rate 319 fps Let-off 80 % Axle to Axle Length 30.25 in. Brace Height 7.125 in. String Length 87 1/4 in. Cable Length 32 3/8 in.

really good bows
Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Go shoot as many bows as you can possibly shoot and then make your decisions. Everyone is different and everyone has different things that they like/dislike and so forth. There are so many choices and makes and models, you can't let someone else tell you what you will like. Go shoot and decide for yourself. With todays market every bow is going to be a good one and it will be which one fits YOU best. Go shoot.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kldad06
Go shoot as many bows as you can possibly shoot and then make your decisions. Everyone is different and everyone has different things that they like/dislike and so forth. There are so many choices and makes and models, you can't let someone else tell you what you will like. Go shoot and decide for yourself. With todays market every bow is going to be a good one and it will be which one fits YOU best. Go shoot.

Wasn't really looking for someone to tell me what I will like/dislike. More on the line of opinions of those particular bows. Like if you had a problem with one, certain quirks and such. Like I stated in the OP, I will let the feel of the bow have more weight in the purchasing choice than anything but I am just trying to get all of my ducks in a row. Don't want to go off of magazine reviews as I have never read a bad magazine review of... well... anything. Was just looking for actual end-user opinions.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have some very good bows there to choose from. The Bear Lights Out is a great bow that I have some personal experience with. I have a buddy that got into bow hunting last year and after a bunch of shooting, he choose the Lights Out. I was very impressed with it, big brace height and super quiet.

Also, the Martin is a very good bow as well. I have not shot one personally, but know a few guys that have one and always great things to say about it.

As the other guy mentioned, the Mission line is awesome. I bought my Dad a X3 last year and his is just flat in love with that bow.

You have already stated you plan on shoot a bunch and then making your decision and this is the best approach you can take. Good luck in your search!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bsfree1965
HeadHunter,
If you haven't looked at the Mission bows by Mathews you should check them out they are really good bows and there price tag won't brake the bank. I shoot the Mission UX2 I started using a bow back in march and the UX2 was a great fit for me it stats are as followed:

$339.00
Specifications
IBO Rate 308 fps Let-off 70% Axle to Axle Length 33.125 in. Brace Height 7 in. String Length 57 7/8 in. Cable Length 35 7/8 in.

a buddy shoots the eliminator
$479.00
Specifications
IBO Rate 319 fps Let-off 80 % Axle to Axle Length 30.25 in. Brace Height 7.125 in. String Length 87 1/4 in. Cable Length 32 3/8 in.

really good bows
Will certainly look into those. When I first started looking, all I could find was links to missions 2006 website so I assumed that Mathews had scrapped the line. I have found the new website with the new catalog now though. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

I'll second (or third) the Mission reviews. I purchased an X-4 three years ago and have been very happy with it. Their newer bows look even better. For the price, you can't go wrong.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

go to acherytalk.com and look in the classified. You'll find some nice used bows for a good price.

Ever considered looking at the PSE bow madness XL, X force?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing but good to say about the PSE Stinger. Shoots great and kills deer for me.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Consider the Bowtech/Diamond products. However, buy one marketed under the Redhead brand name and save yourself $150. The Redhead Toxik was the #1 ranked bow for value in 2009. Forgot the magazine that ranked it. That is what I bought.

Many believe Bowtech has replaced Matthews as far as technology goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.