Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
tactics for hunting in the rain >

tactics for hunting in the rain

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tactics for hunting in the rain

Old 09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default tactics for hunting in the rain

can you help me with what to do and what not to do during a steady rain during the first day of hunting?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Spike

deer around here will stay in the trees 95% of the time
Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only real problem is when you do stick one the blood trail will wash away...
Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hold tight! From my experience they start to move later in the morning cuz the rain has taken away their nose and ears. When the "sun" produces enough light for them to see I find they move more. If it is really raining.......pack it up and save your energy for another day. Light rain I am in the woods heavy rain I am in bed!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Get on the ground and do some still hunting. also a great time to do in season scouting, as the rain will erase your scent.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Spike

Days where it is raining lightly to moderate[no downpours] most bucks feel safe and slowly move around all day browsing of acorns and what not...these type of days I have seen most of my nice bucks roaming around calmly in the woods...great days to stillhunt ot sit on stand for sure....you wont be able to hear them coming, so keep your eyes open...you would be surprised how many deer move around on these type of days ...they feel safe in light rain...sit tight and be ready.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by justo270
Days where it is raining lightly to moderate[no downpours] most bucks feel safe and slowly move around all day browsing of acorns and what not...these type of days I have seen most of my nice bucks roaming around calmly in the woods...great days to stillhunt ot sit on stand for sure....you wont be able to hear them coming, so keep your eyes open...you would be surprised how many deer move around on these type of days ...they feel safe in light rain...sit tight and be ready.
Never noticed that, but there were alot of deer moving here tonite in some HIGH winds. Usually movement is minimal in windy situations but I believe the front stirred them up a bit.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

I've never done any good at any hunting in a steady rain. All the noise in the woods makes them spooky IMHO and they stay tight to heavy cover.

If its a steady rain I stay in bed. Light drizzle, i'll hunt. Downpour and i woun't even roll over..
Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 AM
bigcountry

Pines. They love em. But I won't hunt in the rain any more. You lose a blood trail. After you lose a deer, you might change your mind.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted in the rain a few times every year but haven't had much luck with gun or bow.I think the chance of losing the blood trail is to great when using a bow so I don't bow hunt deer in the rain anymore.That said it's a GREAT time to go after turkeys with bow or shotgun.I've been seeing them all over the place but the season doesn't open till Thursday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.