Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New Crossbow Hunter -- very down >

New Crossbow Hunter -- very down

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Crossbow Hunter -- very down

Old 09-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Spike

Default New Crossbow Hunter -- very down

Hi everyone:

I am a disabled man with cerebral pasly. I went riffle hunting a few times many years back. I shot at a couple deer with a 30/30. However, I missed both shots, mainly because of the open-sights and my balance issues, do to the kick of the gun.

This past July, my friend suggested that I purchase a crossbow and get back into hunting. My friend is a Parker bow sales rep. After only a few shots at his yard target, I was hooked, and I purchased a 2008 Cyclone crossbow.

After only a few weekends of practice, I was able to hit a deer (photo) targert 57 out of about 62 shots in the kill zone at 10 and 20 yards.

I went on my first hunting outing last night. Using a ground blind, I was able to get a broadside shot at a smaller sized dow at about 20 yards. In order to get the shot, I waited about 15 minutes to get the shot as the deer moved into shooting range while eating. During this time period, I drew my crossbrow into the shotting position 3 times before deciding to take the shot. I was a shakey before the shot, but I felt like I was still in the kill zone when I pulled the trigger. However, I don't remember much before the shot, my heart was pounding and I was breathing very heavy. Needless to say, I missed the shot and lossing my 15 dollar bolt made things even worse. Who misses a broadside deer at 20 yards! I must really suck.... I don't want to give up hunting. I love being outdoors, and I love the stories with friends. However, I feel like I am always going to be the guy who always misses the shot and losses arrows in the field. I have no confidence in the field. During target practice yes, but in the field no. Any advice would be great. Maybe I should just stop hunting.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

During this time period, I drew my crossbrow into the shotting position 3 times before deciding to take the shot.

I was a shakey before the shot, but I felt like I was still in the kill zone when I pulled the trigger. However, I don't remember much before the shot, my heart was pounding and I was breathing very heavy.

Needless to say, I missed the shot and lossing my 15 dollar bolt made things even worse.

Who misses a broadside deer at 20 yards!
Tostermann, First of all, congrats on getting back out into the deer woods. What you just described here has happened so many times to me I've lost count. I could write a book on all the silly things I did when I first started bowhunting and what a rush it was back in the early days to even see a deer. I've missed at 15 yards a couple times........lol. 35 years later, and I've lost count of the deer I've taken, I still get that rush and when I quit feeling it, well, I guess I'll just hang up my bow. My guess is with each and every time out you'll gain more confidence and be able to control your adreanlin rush to a point where you'll make that shot. Good luck to you on your future hunts.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont get all discouraged just cause you missed.
EVERYBODY has missed a deer and will again.
Heck one year I had a super nice buck underneath me within 10 yards. Chip shot so I thought . I was confident that I had hit him. It was about dark when I got down so I just decided to get out of there and get something to eat and come back after a while with a buddy and lights. I was pumped up. Telling my buddy how nice he was and i was sure it was a good hit.
Went back in to find him and couldnt find any blood. I searched and searched for blood and was getting frantic . My buddy was back at the tree I was in just laughing the whole time. I asked him what was so funny. He held up my arrow he had found-clean as could be-just some dirt on the broadhead. I had cleanly missed the deer. Felt like a fool but it was a good laugh and now my buddy has a good story to tell on me.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Spike

Thanks CritterGitter. If I am unsteady during my aim, is it better to not take the shot or take the chance? Also, what can you do to get over the nerves and the problem of not following through with the shot because you want to see if you hit the deer? It is so mach easier while targe practicing. Also, how often are bow hunters not able to find a shot arrow or bolt that misses a deer? I don't want go to the poor house from the purchase of bolts
Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tostermann
Thanks CritterGitter. If I am unsteady during my aim, is it better to not take the shot or take the chance? Also, what can you do to get over the nerves and the problem of not following through with the shot because you want to see if you hit the deer? It is so mach easier while targe practicing. Also, how often are bow hunters not able to find a shot arrow or bolt that misses a deer? I don't want go to the poor house from the purchase of bolts

The nerves are just part of the excitement of hunting. Time and success will help with them.
As for finding your arrow----------try bright color fletching and wraps. You may even want to try lighted knocks
Old 09-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sir, You just described why we all go to the woods an wait in one spot for such a long period of time. The pure rush an the excitment that comes along with the hunt. I like others have made plenty mistakes but it was worth the wait for the experience in lifes outdoors. Keep plugging away for those moments that are priceless.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tostermann, first off, that is fantastic you are out hunting.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but are you able to exercise at all with your disability? If you are able to exercise, maybe you could do something to get your heartrate up, then take the shot in practice so you can gain some experience with regulating your heartbeat and breath rate.

Another point. Many times, when one gets excited, we forget to follow through with our shot, and want to drop our bow to take a look at the shot instead of trusting our aim. Not following through with a shot has cost a good many people a deer...DO NOT get discouraged. It took me 3 years to kill a deer with my bow. I missed several times at deere, hit and never found a deer, then finally killed one. Perserverance is at the heart of hunting and you my friend have that perserverance if you are out hunting cerebral palsy. It is only a matter of time until you score. Until then, you are a success no matter what. Best of luck.

Also toaster---sometimes you have to compartmenatlize the shot. Forget about the big picture, forget about telling your friends you killed a deer, forget about being nervous, forget about everything except.....except aiming at a very small spot in the vitals and touching off your release.

Last edited by virginiashadow; 09-26-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Buck up and get back on the bike. there is a reason you wanted to take up hunting. Find and remember that reason and get in the blind ASAP.

Sure it was a miss and I know how bad that can suck. But remember the feelings leading up to the miss and take consolation that you did not wound the animal (I am sure that did not help, but just trying to find a bright spot for you.)
Old 09-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by tostermann
Who misses a broadside deer at 20 yards! I must really suck.... I don't want to give up hunting. I love being outdoors, and I love the stories with friends. However, I feel like I am always going to be the guy who always misses the shot and losses arrows in the field. I have no confidence in the field. During target practice yes, but in the field no. Any advice would be great. Maybe I should just stop hunting.
First off, after more years of shooting bow competitions than I can remember, I missed a deer at 16 yards, then again at 25 yards only to kill him at 41 yards.

Misses happen, to everyone sooner or later so don't let that keep you out of the woods. Embrace it, learn from it and remember it always. It will take you to the next level. Keep practicing and keep on at it. Good luck to you.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to bowhunting, sir. I agree with everyone else's comments. I'm glad you are back in the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.