Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thunder Heads?

Old 09-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepinxj
So I got new arrows and sure enough they fly perfect. Thanks guys.
So the arrows were spined wrong???
Old 09-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Spike

Ya must have been? With the field points they shot fine but with the broadheads they didnt. The shop suggested new arrows with shorter fletchings and they shoot perfect.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

I shot thunderhead 85 grain a couple years ago. they just really well except for left and right. if i shot my field point it would be dead on, when shot the thunderheads it would hit about 8 inches exactly left, so i just sited my bow in with the broadheads and eventually switched to RAGE!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

I had the same problems when sighting in my BHs, they were hitting low and to the left from where my field points hit. After fiddling around with paper tuning, adjusting the rest, knock point and sights, the answer came when I changed arrows to a stiffer spine and better quality arrow. Now my BH and field points fly together.

Stay away from the Walmart specials, even their most expensive arrows are a piece of junk. Guess you get what you pay for. Now I'm shooting Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, 350s for a 67 pound bow.

I won't be changing arrows any time soon as I recount the numereous hours wasted trying to tune around bad arrows.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny. I've had more problems with Thunderheads thana any other broad head out there. All problems were due to the the shaft (threaded part) of the head being bent. Had to run several of them through a head jig to correct them. Decent head, but their quality control department sucks.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepinxj
I talked to a shop and they suggested I try and shoot montec, Ill adjust my bow to the thunderheads for now. Its just crazy they shoot 6" low and left compared to the field points. I can see them curve in the air.

correct one issue at a time. Left issue can be corrected by incremental adjustmenst RIGHT with your rest. The low shot just may be the way the head flies, I have a slightly low hit at range as well, otherwise, move your rest down a touch.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:00 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Funny. I've had more problems with Thunderheads thana any other broad head out there. All problems were due to the the shaft (threaded part) of the head being bent. Had to run several of them through a head jig to correct them. Decent head, but their quality control department sucks.

Unfortately I found this to be case in the past few years also. I would have have to cherry pick arrows and find good combos. I always thought it was the arrow not the head. But if I put a montec or slick, or phantom on them, wouldn't have a problem.
I think its more that oring.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Unfortately I found this to be case in the past few years also. I would have have to cherry pick arrows and find good combos. I always thought it was the arrow not the head. But if I put a montec or slick, or phantom on them, wouldn't have a problem.
I think its more that oring.
I thought that was the case as well, until I switched the arrows and bought Montec heads. Tried them both with new arrows and $88 later my problem was fixed. Its really a hit or miss with thunderheads I think. If you have a good combo they kick A$$.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

You need to tune your bow, arrow, and spin test your broad heads. I used thunderheads for about 10 years. They are a fine head, like most all. But like all, you need to have tuned equipment.

I have noticed with thunderheads, not as many tune as well as others. That is one of the reasons I switched. I got sick of constantly messing with the blades to get them to spin right.