Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
N.A.P. Bloodrunner Video >

N.A.P. Bloodrunner Video

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

N.A.P. Bloodrunner Video

Old 09-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not really surprised at the blood loss there. We (humans) have 1-2 gallons of blood in our bodies. Massive big game animals can weight 1000-2000 lbs and would have significantly more blood. I read somewhere that some big game can take 10 minutes to bleed to death depending on the wound.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HuntingBry
I agree 100% about the ferrule size. I view that as a big downside for this head. Regarding the "dead blow" I understand what you are saying, but is there really enough travel to affect the arrow? The amount of travel in the tip is 1/4" at the most and it should be pushed in prior to encountering bone. I just don't see how this would be any different than a fixed blade head encountering bone. Admittedly I don't know enough about physics to fully understand, but from what I can tell the difference between the Bloodrunner hitting bone and a fixed head hitting bone should be minimal.

Either way it makes no difference to me, I'm currently shooting for another broadhead company, but these things always rouse my curiosity.

Chances are,you will encounter the bone upon entry.The bone is touching the surface or very close to the surface in most cases and that is where I feel a problem will occur.There will be an equal and opposite reaction to that hit and that tip will have the energy traveling backwards,atleast that is the way I see it.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

The poster in the comments that claimed he was the hunter said that his PH claimed that that arrow stopped in the offside shoulder?????? I can maybe see that it reached half way through an eland to the heart but if that arrow had hit the offside shoulder it would have buried to the fletchings in an animal as large as an eland.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Chances are,you will encounter the bone upon entry.The bone is touching the surface or very close to the surface in most cases and that is where I feel a problem will occur.There will be an equal and opposite reaction to that hit and that tip will have the energy traveling backwards,atleast that is the way I see it.
True. It depends on how much KE is shed while opening though. There is really no way to tell.

Say the KE of the head upon initial impact is 65#'s. Once the BH is fully deployed... say its 60#'s. The displacement is 5#'s, which is basically like you said, energy traveling backwards through acceleration(deceleration). Once the energy is displaced though, the effects are no more, and then its just like a regular bh with a 1.5" cut.

Now... Like HuntingBry said, if your setup is on that fine line, using this head may not be very smart. Any wide mechanical that is... That is the problem...

TFOX, you are right about the skin and bone thing too b/c until someone test how many ft/lb's it takes to open that head, we will not know how much KE can potentially be shed upon impact. MAybe alot, maybe very little...

Every setup is subjective once the arrow is in the air b/c of arrow build and the impact on whatever animal.

Point is, dont shoot it if you dont have enough(in the shooters opinion) KE/Momentum to send it thru to both sides.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You were right on the deployment Todd... You can see in this vid that the blades didnt fully open up upon entry. It would definately be to the bone before it pushed the blades open.

http://www.newarchery.com/products/1...oodrunner.html
Old 09-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

I have these Bloodrunners on my arrows now, and the slightest pressure on the tip deploys the blades. As soon as the head touches the skin of the animal, it is pushed backward and deployed effortlessly. These would work with light poundage bows imo. These are not a mechanical that requires KE to deploy.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hardcorehunter
I have these Bloodrunners on my arrows now, and the slightest pressure on the tip deploys the blades. As soon as the head touches the skin of the animal, it is pushed backward and deployed effortlessly. These would work with light poundage bows imo. These are not a mechanical that requires KE to deploy.
I have played with the heads as well and it doesn't take alot to open them but that really isn't what we are talking about.We are,or atleast I am talking about the impact of the point end with the shank upon a hard hit.This energy is in reverse,add that to a 1 1/2" cut and a HUGE ferrule,it is a high energy head only imo.Granted any bone contact will send shock waves through an arrow but it seems that this head will maginify the impact,maybe I am wrong and it will just delay it but atleast when the point end is taking the brunt force,the tip is sharp.To me it is like a little timy hammer hitting the end of the shank.

But I digress,if one thinks they have enough ke to use it,then try it out.I would prefer they do some testing first but that choice is up to them.

Last edited by TFOX; 09-26-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

amazing... just goes to show sharp broadheads placed in the boiler room will do the trick.... not saying i know for sure but i have my doubts about him being hit in the heart ... the quantity of blood coming out would be alot less if the pumper was damaged .... maybe a major artery off the heart ... still some awesome footage
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Jeez that was a real gusher, amazing!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TFOX
I have played with the heads as well and it doesn't take alot to open them but that really isn't what we are talking about.We are,or atleast I am talking about the impact of the point end with the shank upon a hard hit.This energy is in reverse,add that to a 1 1/2" cut and a HUGE ferrule,it is a high energy head only imo.Granted any bone contact will send shock waves through an arrow but it seems that this head will maginify the impact,maybe I am wrong and it will just delay it but atleast when the point end is taking the brunt force,the tip is sharp.To me it is like a little timy hammer hitting the end of the shank.

But I digress,if one thinks they have enough ke to use it,then try it out.I would prefer they do some testing first but that choice is up to them.
These two points are what concern me the most. Having seen the head deployed with a piece of packing paper I don't think there would be a significant energy loss due to that aspect of the design. That ferrule on the other hand concerns me. I plan for a big cut with my KE because that is why I use mechanicals, I like having the biggest cutting diameter I can within reason.