Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
breath scent control >

breath scent control

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

breath scent control

Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do go all the way with scent control with the exception of breath. I am conscience about wind and scent control. Some days deer approach and stay downwind without any idea and others days they bust me. When busted all clothes including my harness go into the wash and hang outside to dry. I leave all of my clothes and equipment outside unless it is raining. I have bought unscented oil for my bow. So I do go well beyond 1/2 way. I brush my teeth before a hunt, but not with baking soda and peroxide. Yuk! To each his own and therefore, I have a right to my own opinion. I stand by what I said - You guys are totally nuts. The breath smell suppressant manufacturers are using the P.T. Barnum philosophy "sucker born every minute". Shoot the deer if they are close enough to smell your breath. He11, you should be able to pet them!

On the other hand, when I am gun hunting my shotgun or ML is oiled with gun oil. I don't make any attempt to hide that smell. I can now reach out beyond their nose capability. I have killed plenty of deer with this approach including numerous old does and a couple for the wall. I rewash my clothes before resuming bow hunting because the gun rested on my lap.

Regarding sunflower seeds. I have had deer find the hulls at the base of my stand. Therefore, no more seeds in the stand unless I am going to swallow the hulls. No doubt I will never comprehend the deers ability to smell. I may be off base about the breath, but really...How far do you think the scent cone of a breath from someone at rest travels before dissipating or some other scent takes over? I need science not speculation. I think you're over the top.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Then why worry about ANY scent control? Is your skin (if you showered) emitting as much scent as your mouth? Is your harness/stand/bow/quiver/etc..., etc..., etc... emitting as much scent as your breathing does?

There really is no half-assing scent control (not elimination....which can't be done). So why go 1/2 way?

And BTW....no matter your oral hygiene....I can assure you the deer thinks your breath STINKS.
great point gmmat-i too believe your mouth is the biggest producer of scent and if you do nothing about it there is no sense in worrying about the rest of your body. I brush my teeth with a baking soda and usually eat an apple on my way to hunt. I did try gum o flage once-alfalfa honey was the flavor-take my word for it-unless you are a horse it tastes like crap.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RuLzU
some people are a little too much.
seriously.
50 years ago when my dad would shoot 2 deer a year they did NONE of these things we do. a little extreme guys.. dont ya think?
Deer have changed A WHOLE LOT since then. They have gotten so much smarter in the ways they detect humans
Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

i just drink 7 or 8 beers before i go out and they dont seem to mind me
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by westcyderydin
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

lol

but seriously,
I don't think you can hide your breath 100%... but there are a lot of ways to help cover it up.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

i purchased some of that Huntwiser and am going to give it a try

Check it out

www.huntwiser.com
Old 09-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some of you boys never leave home, do you? I hunt in a lot of different places and trust me, deer density matters. Some people live and hunt in area's with very low deer densities, either step it up or go season's without seeing a deer. And I mean up! If the densities are high, even a guy with his thumb up his... will get close enough to gimp one up and eventually take one home.

I enjoy taking deer where there are none You aint taking one there puffing on a cig I'll garontee you dat.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I stand by what I said - You guys are totally nuts. The breath smell suppressant manufacturers are using the P.T. Barnum philosophy "sucker born every minute". Shoot the deer if they are close enough to smell your breath. He11, you should be able to pet them!
Do you realize how far your scent cone travels with the wind? Would hundreds of yards surprise you?

Your mouth emits WAY more human scent than any other part of your body (unless you're holding your breath for several hours).

There may be some "suckers" out there......but I ain't one of 'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.