Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Arrowed Buck Lost/Lethal Hit? >

Arrowed Buck Lost/Lethal Hit?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrowed Buck Lost/Lethal Hit?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Rages come with a test broad head. Just for tuning. They shoot great! Just like a field tip. But like everything somebody will knock em even if they havent tried em.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by butternuts
Shoot what YOU want bud and I'll shoot what works for me. I would rather be accurate with my mechs than get a hemroid trying to group fixed blades @ 50 yrds!
You just have to know your equipment and set them up the way they need to. A good set up should shoot fixed blades perfect. I shoot muzzys, always have, and I'm sighted into 80 yards for elk and they shoot like a dart. No problem grouping what so ever. Never have had a problem with flight ever once things were tuned and set up right. Now would you rather be accurate and blown through the animal at 50 yards or be accurate with a mechanical that sticks in the animal at 50 yards? or better yet how about 20 yards as the origional post states. No way a fixed head wouldn't have gotten complete penatration at the least compaired to 8 inches out of a rage 2blade at 20 yards. Just my 2 cents so back to the origional post. WCL
Old 09-21-2009, 12:03 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by boilermaker85
Rages come with a test broad head. Just for tuning. They shoot great! Just like a field tip. But like everything somebody will knock em even if they havent tried em.
Well obviously this fella have tried em. I have tried mech. and came to the same conclusion.

For those who don't understand broadhead tuning, you can't use the planing of broadhead to tune unless you have surface area that can plane the arrow. hense why are you mentioning Rage? No to little surface area to plane.

You can't do what Jeff is referring too with those practice heads.

Goodness man, this is archery 101 stuff. Anyone with more than 1 year experience knows this.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Rage?? Fixed?? Expandable?? Thundehead?? Muzzy?? The man stuck what probably was a really nice buck, but none the less a deer and has lost him!!!! And like stated above, if you've been hunting long enough its bound to have happened to you. Sad but true. Waiting only twenty minutes was I think the biggest problem!! Not what broadhead he stuck him with!! Every different broadhead out there as a hunter with a sad story tied to it !! And yes the hit was not in the best place,if you would have backed out, waited a few hours he probably would have laid down as most do.... again just my opinion.... and sorry to hear about it
Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried them. I took 12 whitetails with them.

The fact that they give you a practic head to "tune" with means nothing, actually. A mechanical head won't identify tuning issues. That's the "flies like a FP" in them.

Stick a large, fixed head on your arrow......and then shoot them. If they fly true...you'll be golden with the mechanicals. Sadly (me included...when I shot them) most hunters won't go through this process. In fact, I'm guessing most CAN'T get the fixed heads to group.....and that's WHY they go to the mech's.

Recipe for disaster.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by boilermaker85
You don't have to try something to dislike them. I've seen plenty of other people I know use them and see the terrible effects of them. Thats enough to make me never want to try them. Just saw a 175" buck the other day a guy shot almost broad side hit him in the liver area ribes and the arrow deflected and sliced the side of the deer and the exit was about 6 inches from the entrance and layed the bucks guts wide open. They trailed guts the next morning, not blood, to where he died. Not my ideal huntign strategy. I'd rather of hit dead center liver and waited 8 hrs to go find him where he would be dead. Buddy shot a cow elk with on this year. Huge flesh hole but the hole through the ribs you could maybe stick two fingers in it. That right there equals huge KE loss if ya ask me. Hit her through the ribs and had no exit. The list gos on and on from past years no penetration, hit bone, yada yada ya. Don't have to try somethign to knock it. WCL
Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
Waiting only twenty minutes was I think the biggest problem!! Not what broadhead he stuck him with!! Every different broadhead out there as a hunter with a sad story tied to it !!
I do not beleive with this shot placement that this buck woud have bedded anytime soon. He lost blood, not pushed the buck by the sounds of it. Should he have waited yes but I don't think it would have mattered unless he found a bed where the buck laid down during his blood trailing. Can't track to a bedded animal when you have to blood to track it. Either way yes everyone no matter what kind of bh it is has lost animals but simple physics, KE, and skills of setting up a bow gives the greatest logic in what to use. WCL
Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Easy BC... Muzzy fanboy or what? WOW. Never seen someone get so upset because of a difference in opinion.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

wingchaser lab, granted we all no its difficult to track with no trace of blood, but you can't go in 20 minutes after the shoot and think your not pushing a hit deer!! That deer went over 500 yards from what he said. Thats a lot of running, and most deer only go that far when they are pushed. Not saying that happens everytime. I'm just playing the statistics here.... but hey I could be wrong. Hard for any of us to tell unless we were there...really
Old 09-21-2009, 12:27 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Easy BC... Muzzy fanboy or what? WOW. Never seen someone get so upset because of a difference in opinion.
I am not upset, are you upset? Just sitting here talking. Isn't that what forums are for? And besides, I rarely shoot muzzy. I do shoot muzzy phantoms 225gr for a recurve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.