Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Helical or No Helical >

Helical or No Helical

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Helical or No Helical

Old 09-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Spike

Default Helical or No Helical

I was just wondering what everyones opinion is on helices. I shoot blazers and I heard a slight right helical is prefered. But as far as I can tell the arrows I have now dont have any helical and they shoot fine. What are advantages/disadvantages with helical?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use about a 2-3 dergree offset on my Bitz with a right helical clamp on it. Puts a little helical into the blazer, they fly great. Helical will help stabilize the arrow better while in flight leading to better accuracy and easier broadhead tuning.

Shane
Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with sr77. I've heard people say you don't and you don't if your only shooting paper. If your hunting and shooting any distance beyond 15-20 yards, you will definitely see an improvement with broadhead flight. Just my $.02
Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

2 things....

1. If you're shooting blazers....the amt of helical you're able to put on it isn't likely negligible. Think about it. It's a 2" vane.

2. If you shoot a WB.....the mfr. suggests NOT using helical fletch (with any vanes).
Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

1. If you're shooting blazers....the amt of helical you're able to put on it isn't likely negligible. Think about it. It's a 2" vane.
Wrong. Helical is helical. Be it a 2" vane or a 5" vane. It is still the same.

I use as much helical as the diameter of the arrow shaft will allow me to use.

Bohning is now making a jig specifically for fletching blazer vanes with a helical fletch.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Show me this helical fletched blazer.

Here's mine.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, I've fletched 1000's of arrows at the shop I go to,and the blazers in the helical clamps don't make a huge difference. Offset is the way to go there IMO. As for me, I shoot 4" vanes, with a wicked helical. I use a right helical clamp, and have it offset as well, getting as much twist as I can and still having good vane adhesion. I feel that it greatly aids in broadhead flight, and there is so much spin, that broadhead doesn't stand nearly as good a chance at steering the arrow.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Show me this helical fletched blazer.

Here's mine.
Not sure if you are asking me to point out the helical vanes or not but if you are....The ones that I can see directly from behind look as they were fletched with a helical clamp.

If I set up an arrow in a jig with a right helical clamp and a 5" vane to get 100% of the base to contact the arrow and instead simply switch to 2" vanes is the helical any less?

No it isn't.

It is still fletched with the same jig, with the same right helical clamp on the same arrow.

Just because the vane is shorter does not change the degree that the vane wraps the arrow.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I just wanted to see a photo to see what degree you're getting (helical). Not a big deal if you don't have one.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i only use offset on my 5" duravanes. i don't shoot a fixed blade head and my arrows fly just fine out to 80 yards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.