Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Choosing arrows.... >

Choosing arrows....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Choosing arrows....

Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Choosing arrows....

i am a newbee to bow hunting so i dont know everything yet....i bough 1/2 dozen arrows as i was told fit me by a bow store owner......and im down to 4 at the moment so i am looking to buy some more in the future....it says online that it takes 6 or 7 grams times your bow weight....my draw back weight is 50 lbs and the guy at the store gave me 400 grain arrows....8 grams??correct.....im not sure what it matters.....anyways i was wondering if i pull back 50 pounds and shoot a 28 1/2 arrow what grain would be best for me if i plan to take a deer within 30 yards but is still capable at 40 and the slight chance of 50 yards....also what brand??? at the moment on ebay i am looking at easton epics, gold tip expeditions and gold tip XT...also whats it mean when it says "55/75 size"??....
Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

When buying arrows, buy the best you can afford. If your gonna skimp on your setup dont let it be on arrows. As far as arrow weight, id suggest something heavy since you only pulling 50lbs. If i was shooting 50lbs id want my arrow to weight at least 430 grains(or there about,and probably higher). It may be overkill but thats how id have it. As far as the 55/75, it means that arrow is for draw weights between 55lbs and 75lbs.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Spike

I am kinda partial to Beman arrows. I have only been bow hunting for about three years and have never used anything but Beman. I brother was using Carbon Express Radial Weave. I got him to buy some Beman ICS Hunters and he loves them. He says they shoot a whole lot better. Grant it we both shoot higher draw weights but we have not had any problems with Beman. According to Beman you would need their 500 sized arrows. Hope this helps!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the arrows say 400 on them,that is not the weight.That is the spine and a 400 is a little stiff for you.Not too bad but just a little.The 500 is probably a better fit.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

stiff??? explain please.....and my buddy tells me bemans are pretty good....pricey tho...
Old 09-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your current arrows are to stiff is what hes saying, not allowing them to flex. You need a weaker spine.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha im sorry...im not up to speed on terms what does "flexing" have to do with the right arrow?? right now i am thinking of buying these.... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Beman-ICS-Bo...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is hard to beat Easton's for quality,even in the cheaper shafts.Beman is owned by Easton but imo,not up to the standard of Eastons.

Think of an arrow as a tunning fork or shock absorber.If it is too weak,it will overflex making it fly erratically and if it is too stiff,it doesn't absorb the energy from the bow and will not flex enough for good consistant accuracy.

As you can imagine too stiff is way better than too weak.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is way out there but could that be another reason why im inconsistent at 50? haha
Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

wait...wouldnt 500 make it stiffer then the 400 making it worse for me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.