Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Just shouldered a doe...will she live?? >

Just shouldered a doe...will she live??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just shouldered a doe...will she live??

Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear it Lyncher. That is the exact reason I don't shoot mechs. If you happen to make a poor hit, you have a higher percentage of success with a quality fixed broadhead, in my opinion. I know there is always the exception on both sides, however I like to play percentages. Dead is dead...and a good shot with pretty much any head will kill them. Its on the errant shots that I am worried about and want the percentage on my side. You hunt long enough, you'll shoulder one - that's a fact. Keep your chin up...

Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last season I shot a nice non-typical buck. When the arrow hit him it cracked very loud. He took off running and the arrow was hanging out of the side I hit him on and fell back out about 20 yards after he started running. I retrieved the arrow and noticed it only penetrated about 2 inches. I have heard of this happening to other hunters but it was the first time it happened to me. I knew then I hit him on the thickest part of his shoulder bone. My son and I gave him some time then searched all day and did not find him. There was very little blood. I know he lived to see another day.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 AM
bigcountry

why in the world would a person use a mech broadhead is beyond me.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
why in the world would a person use a mech broadhead is beyond me.
Because its on TV.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Based off the arrow location and the lack of penetration, I would say she will live. Deer are tough and if that arrow did not penetrate the shoulder bone then I think she will make it. Was she limping badly as she ran away, or was she running on all 4 legs? If you were elevated, I am not surprised with the lack of blood as there was no pass-through. I have seen the pictures from processors showing broadheads embedded in shoulder bones. Always and area I try and miss when shooting.

I have shot both fixed and mech's. I believe shot location is the key. I am not going to say if you would have a fixed blade the deer would be dead or vice verca. You said you would take the shot again. Good! Then Chalk this one up to buck fever, Murphy's law, etc... Stay confident in your equipment and your shooting ability.

You did everything you could to find the animal and I think she lived. Go get her later in the season. Good Luck!