Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Determing draw length >

Determing draw length

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Determing draw length

Old 05-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Determing draw length

Ok im trying to determine my draw length and thus far have found 2 methods.
1: is to draw an arrow back and marck it with a marker and measure from the mark to the nock. Problem with this one is im not sure where i make the marks. Do i marck the arrow right where it goes over the rest and measure from the begining of the nock or the bottom of it?

Method 2:

Wingspan [Inches] Draw Length [Inches]
73-------------------------29
74-------------------------29 1/2
75-------------------------30
76-------------------------30 1/2
77-------------------------31
(Add or subtract ½ inch for every inch over 77 inches or under 73 inches)

When i measured my wingspan with my wifes help on the wall it was 69 1/2 inches. Im not very good at math but i come up with 27 1/2 inch draw length with this method. Does anyone know any other methods besides going to a pro shop. The closest one just closed and the other one ignored me for the most part so i wont go back there. Im fixin to get a 2003 hoyt magnatech. Also after your determine your draw length do u cut your arrows the same length as your draw length?
Old 05-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Determing draw length

Here is yet another method:

Find a yard or meter stick. Then rest one end of the stick on your chest, then with the yardstick between your hands extend both hands fully as far as you can. Finally, have someone see where your finger tips end up, and then add an inch. This is your draw length.

I got about 26' ' this way but addin an inch would be 27. So i guess i cut my arrows to 28' ' ?
Old 05-18-2003, 01:18 PM

Treedog, I think the most conventional way is the 1st method you mentioned. I' m not real sure where to mark the arrow, but any good bow shop should be able to help you out. I' m pretty sure you can chek on Cabelas for the right place to mark the arrow. They have some info on this topic.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:25 PM

According to larry Wise, Draw to a comfortable anchor and mark the arrow at the front of the riser, then measure from the recess in the nock to the mark. That was easiest for me.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:32 PM

The #2 method is the one I teach at seminars. All other methods allow for archers' variations in what they have been taught or incorrect equipment choices.

The wingspan method measures fingertip to fingertip. This method cannot be abused by the unknowing or, in some rare cases, the knowing. It' s not set in concrete; but, it' s an excellent starting point. It should even be considered by older archers who have may have been mislead by others, or by the manufacturers who willfully made/make their bows longer than what is stated on the specification sticker on the limb.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I asked this too as the wingspan method had me at 26 1/2" . Got a couple different things told to me to try. One was taking your wingspan length, subtracting 15 and dividing this number by 2. Was still short for me so I did the other which was the same but subtracting 14 instead of 15 and then dividing by 2. Came out right were I' m at. So at least this one worked better for me.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know many guys swear by the Wingspan, but it didn' t hold water for me. It' s true that it' s a good place to begin and not written in stone. Also true, as Len says, it' s better than all the " by-guess" crowd who think they know all the yardstick ways. At least it' s consistent. However, I think the one that worked best for me was to measure the wingspan and just measure by 2.5 Subtracting 15" and dividing by two just left me all crunched up.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:44 PM

Determining Correct Draw Length:

Type in words draw length in " Search For" bar.

http://domino.htcomp.net/ragsdale.nsf

Old 05-18-2003, 10:40 PM

While Mr. Ragsdale' s has some good points, I really feel that many parts of his articles miss the needs of the average archer/hunter. I tried to copy some of his articles and paste, but that wouldn' t work.

He starts his " Determining Draw Length" by suggesting that a new archer/hunter watch others and try using their equipment until they (the new archer) determines what feels best. I disagree.

If you could only know the number of times I have seen a friend or family member trying to fit a newbie into their old equipment, you' d choke. It' s a pure case of the blind leading the blind.

Now, if Mr. Ragdale is talking about the tournament circuit, that could be a little different. Most of these people have had professional training and can better make suggestions in form/fit. But, he seems to not make that distinction.

For a PRO Shop owner, I have had much better success in using the wingspan method due to its elimination of bad form implementation. And, as suggested above, I have seen the 14 number yield better results than the 15 number more than half the time. That is why I call it just a good starting point.

Mr. Ragsdale points out such things as small increments in draw length making a big difference and that the manufacturers' tags can' t be trusted. I agree totally; but, the starting point for a newbie is, IMPO, way more critical to getting to that exact point than arbitrarily trying other peoples' equipment. The wingspan is an exact numbering system that, with minor adjustments, will get you to good form a lot faster and with a lot less trouble. Those who usually say it didn' t work for them are usually those who got started incorrectly in this sport.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:59 PM

TREEDOG Another way you may try is to stand with your bow arm extended to the side, with your fist against a wall. Have someone measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth, with your head turned toward the wall. This is fairly accurate for me, but not everyone is the same. I also think that when marking an arrow youj mark it at the hole in the riser where you mount your rest; but, the bow you are drawing has to fit you correctly. Then cut the arrows about an inch longer. Good luck with the new bow.

Quick Reply: Determing draw length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.