HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Determing draw length
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: Determing draw length

While Mr. Ragsdale' s has some good points, I really feel that many parts of his articles miss the needs of the average archer/hunter. I tried to copy some of his articles and paste, but that wouldn' t work.

He starts his " Determining Draw Length" by suggesting that a new archer/hunter watch others and try using their equipment until they (the new archer) determines what feels best. I disagree.

If you could only know the number of times I have seen a friend or family member trying to fit a newbie into their old equipment, you' d choke. It' s a pure case of the blind leading the blind.

Now, if Mr. Ragdale is talking about the tournament circuit, that could be a little different. Most of these people have had professional training and can better make suggestions in form/fit. But, he seems to not make that distinction.

For a PRO Shop owner, I have had much better success in using the wingspan method due to its elimination of bad form implementation. And, as suggested above, I have seen the 14 number yield better results than the 15 number more than half the time. That is why I call it just a good starting point.

Mr. Ragsdale points out such things as small increments in draw length making a big difference and that the manufacturers' tags can' t be trusted. I agree totally; but, the starting point for a newbie is, IMPO, way more critical to getting to that exact point than arbitrarily trying other peoples' equipment. The wingspan is an exact numbering system that, with minor adjustments, will get you to good form a lot faster and with a lot less trouble. Those who usually say it didn' t work for them are usually those who got started incorrectly in this sport.