Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Determing draw length >

Determing draw length

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Determing draw length

Old 05-19-2003, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Determing draw length

Len

I do believe, at least to me, it is very clear what Bob is suggesting is that a person whom is unfamiliar, or not too familiar, with how different bows feel when held and when pulled, where his or her anchor point is, or their draw-length, couldfollow his suggestion to help determine how a draw should feel, and an idea of where the draw anchor may be, and to help determine what his or her draw-length may be.

" The best method of all involves being with other archers. Maybe using their bows briefly and learning how to draw the bow, where to stop and hold an anchor with or without a release aid. It can help you to grow stronger and to learn what being comfortable is as well as to become familiar with several brands of bows." .......Bob Ragsdale

Cheaper than buying one of all bows made. Regardless of his abbreviated answering of some questions, he is a walking archery encyclopedia and troubleshooter.

Also, Bob has never been just a competition shooter. He also bowhunts. Including his vast experience and skills regarding how to obtain the best setup and the best tuneā€¦and troubleshooting, Bob also has an extensive background in bow and accessory engineering and design. He knows the bow from the blueprint to the mold or machine, to the range and field.

I am sure he would not hesitate to admit that he does not have all the answers, nor is he always the last stop. However, as far as I am concerned, Bob Ragsdale is a " Red Belt" in the archery arena.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The proshop im driving to emailed me and said they would professionaly set the bow up for me for free and they will measure my draw length. Its about and hour drive but i belive its worth it. Thanks for all the replys.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:57 PM

i don' t think theres any method that works.i would say a new archer should work on his anchor point long before he buys a bow.if he dose not know where his anchor feels the best how can you determine what draw lenght he needs. his draw lenght may feel great at lower pounds but increase the draw weight and he may wander. anchor point first then draw lenght just a opinun
Old 05-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Len is right, I too have seen guys come in with an anchor point under their ear cause they didn' t know better. Only thing I would add is that the wingspan is not " cast in stone" as with anything in archery. Chest size and short or long arms must enter into it, so your tech man must watch him or her draw and anchor, to get a visual on where the string hits the face. All said and done you should be within an inch of wingspan.