Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Average Broadhead Drop?? >

Average Broadhead Drop??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Average Broadhead Drop??

Old 09-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Average Broadhead Drop??

well i just went out shooting and i am pretty frustrated at the moment....i am dead on with my field tips but 8 inches to the right and 8 inches down with my broad heads.....is this normal or whats the deal?? they are the cheap "allen lightning" from ol wally world...i just figure they would be a little high or low but dang....

Last edited by kwaldeier; 09-10-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tuning issues.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Tuning issues.
thats correct.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

getcha some new broadheads dude... my uncles were the same way, he could shoot some broadheads and they fly perfect but he shot some that were off by 3 inches each time, he gave me to me and they were dead on for me....what works for other might not work for you, the broadheads were called slick trix if your were wonderin... hope this helps!!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by allmightyhunter13
getcha some new broadheads dude... my uncles were the same way, he could shoot some broadheads and they fly perfect but he shot some that were off by 3 inches each time, he gave me to me and they were dead on for me....what works for other might not work for you, the broadheads were called slick trix if your were wonderin... hope this helps!!
Although some bh's will fly better or worse out of certain setups, that is only a "band-aid" to cover up the real problem.

It sounds like your setup is REALLY out of tune.

BH's grouping to the left of the fp's is a sign that your arrows are too weak for your setup. You either need to drop quite a bit of DW, or move compensate your rest by adjusting center shot. That may get you closer, but with 8" of differnce, id say its not gonna get you all the way there.

BH's grouping low of the fps is a sign that you are nock high meaning your nocking pt. is too high in corealation with your rest. If you rest is set up where your arrow is lined up with the berger hole(height relation) then you will probably want to move your nock down a bit. If your rest isnt that high (making the arrow line up on the berger or close to it) than you can probably get away with just adjusting your rest up a bit. Once again your issues may be a bit larger being that your bh's are impacting that far off from your fp's.

I suggest you either find someone that can help you locally, or start learning the technical stuff on here and everywhere that you can. There is a lot to learn as far as arrow and bh tuning go, but once youve got it, it will make a huge difference in your setup

Here is a link to the pdf for the easton tuning guide. it explains in depth all the arrow info most could ever need imo. I think ive taken more from it than almost anything.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf

Good luck!

Derek
Old 09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, it is a lot to learn and takes some time. I like many on here who are very knowledgeable now, used to have the same problems as you. I would just sight in my bow according to where my bh's hit during deer season. I just thought that your bh's wouldnt have the same poi as fp's. Now with most of my setups, I can get fixed blade heads to fly with my fp's at least out to 40 yards...

With my XF6, i got some grizz tricks (1 1/4" fixed blade) to fly out to 50 perfectly with my fp's.

Also, dont believe the bh manufacturers claims of "flies like a field tip"... Most bh's will fly as consistently as a field tip through a tuned bow... That doesnt mean that they will impact in the same spot as your fp's though

Derek
Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to tuning, you may want to make sure there isn't any wobble when you spin your arrows with broadheads installed. Sounds like a tuning issue for sure, and the section in Easton's Tuning Guide should really help, but if your arrows aren't spinning true with BH's they will be all over the place.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

well about a week ago i ordered a new string for my bow and i got it put on today and also bought some muzzy 100 grain broadheads and wow....they make a difference...the guy at the bow shop said my knock on the string was off which also made the BH off even worse..i love the BH and im excited to shoot some more!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Spike

try shooting rages or spit fires i know they are a little more but i have shot both and multiple buddies have mine have shot one or the other and they are very accurate and good strong bhs