Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rank Beginner!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rank Beginner!

Hey all, I've lurked around here for about a year, and posted a bit last year, as I was looking forward to making my first hunting trip. Unfortunately, shoulder surgery derailed those plans and I never got to go. This year things are better, (well, except paying for the surgery!) Anyway, I picked up a used, but like new Bear Compound Bow and have been trying to set it up and shooting regularly. I do OK at 15 yards, but haven't tried anything farther yet. My set up so far consists of the bow and an Octane Hostage rest. I should be able to pick up a sight next payday. I currently use finger tabs for release. I've been reading alot, and practicing, but I was wondering what ya'll think is the best thing you've done to increase your chances in the woods?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Find the right property to hunt first off. Then scout, scout, and scout, some more. Trailcams are an invaluable tool in this process!! GL
Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Practice as much as possible until it becomes routine.

Last edited by early in; 09-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

pratice then scout alot
Old 09-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I wouldn't know where to begin

with a newbie with less than one year experience, and all the gizmos that are coming out of Madison Avenue these days.

As an archer you have to practice shooting; no easy way around it. If you can't shoot an arrow from a bow, you are wasting time hunting.

You have to learn to trek in the woods; spot game; set up an ambush for game. Be patient and be quiet.

It takes time; it is not a quick video game.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
with a newbie with less than one year experience, and all the gizmos that are coming out of Madison Avenue these days.

As an archer you have to practice shooting; no easy way around it. If you can't shoot an arrow from a bow, you are wasting time hunting.

You have to learn to trek in the woods; spot game; set up an ambush for game. Be patient and be quiet.

It takes time; it is not a quick video game.

He's not asking how to HUNT, he is asking what is the best way to Increase his chances with a bow..

Like said above the best thing to do is get your hunting situation figured out..where are you planning on hunting? Then get your bow completly set up, Sight, quiver, arrows, etc then like also said before SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT and SCOUT..some more..

-NICK
Old 09-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I have a place to hunt, it's a Wildlife Management Area not far from home. I've been checking out some maps and have an area in mind where I've seen Deer, Hogs and Turkey during the off season. The WMA butts up to a section of rails to trails that I ride on my bicycle alot. Lots of game in that area. I've been out scouting, but where I want to hunt is to far out to reach by foot. (Gates are closed until a day before the season) Next step is to bring the Mountain Bike and ride back as far as I can and walk from there.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FLBandit
Thanks. I have a place to hunt, it's a Wildlife Management Area not far from home. I've been checking out some maps and have an area in mind where I've seen Deer, Hogs and Turkey during the off season. The WMA butts up to a section of rails to trails that I ride on my bicycle alot. Lots of game in that area. I've been out scouting, but where I want to hunt is to far out to reach by foot. (Gates are closed until a day before the season) Next step is to bring the Mountain Bike and ride back as far as I can and walk from there.
Way to go!! Its adapting and determination like this that will make you successful. You getting away from other hunters by biking is VERY smart.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion, you should definitely get a release instead of using your fingers. I started with the cheepo black plastic thumb release at Wal-mart. Not more than $10-$15 but makes all the difference in the world. You could even ask around on here and maybe someone would send ya one of their older ones for cheep. Trust me though, it will make a differance.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

I actually did pick up a release from Wal-Mart, now I just need to get a loop on the bowstring. I tried tying one on, but it didn't hold. (guess I did it wrong!) I just read a post about it here, but it left me a bit lost. I plan to make it to the Shop this weekend to look into getting a sight, so I'll probably let someone do it who knows what they're doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.