Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ultimate 3d rig

Old 08-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Another big factor in the "target" v. "hunting" setups is.......arrow choice. I don't see too many guys winning 3D tournaments....shooting "hunting" arrows. Today's "fat" shafts give competitive 3D archers additional points. It's undeniable.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like the others said, at most tournaments, you arent going to see the guys with the top of the line hunting rigs winning the shoots. ESPECIALLY in indoor shooting, but thats a whole other animal.

I would say anything in the 37"ATA up range, and minimum 7" bh is the best setups for 3d...

There are a few guys around here that shoot IBO and ASA using the 101st. One of them is doing very well with his, and has been pulling out some top 10 finishes in the big tournaments, and winning/placing in the local ones.

Most guys that can shoot tho, can shoot, and thats all there is to it... The 3d rig, like TFOX said may buy some points, but if they brought out there hunting rig, they would still be good...

There are people like Tom Crowe that are basically machines too. He was using the 5" bh Monster XLR8 pulling 80#'s shooting 2712's with HEAVY points(like 220-300gr. tips). The combination of HUGE arrows and the ability to shoot them at the 280fps ASA limit were undeniably an advantage. Most people wont be able to do that though lol
Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TFOX
There isn't an organization that will allow speed pros to be shot that I am aware of.They are below the 5gr rule for IBO and will put you above the 280 rule for ASA.

So they are pretty much useless for 3-d.

The Pros winning in the ASA and IBO are not using "speed" bows.They are using long a-a bows with forgiving riser designs and decent brace heights.

Although,Tom Crowe a senior pro did just pull out a win with a Monster.
Hence the all rules aside they really are pretty nice shooting bows, and i dont mind the the draw cycle on em, way friendlier than say the X-force or Monster.
It would be a fun bow for the local walk 3d course
Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been using my hunting rig for years, and even tho on the shots that are really far away like 50 yards they might beat me but 40 and down i usually d really well. last year i was shooting in the 320s or around there and most guys with full 3d rigs were around there also. sometimes its not about the set up, somtimes its how good u can shot with wha u have. Now if i had a 3d rig yea i might do better, but im in collage and i cant afford that. But i will keep with my 3d rig for now. But i have been to a competive tournament and i could c y a 3d rig might help with the scopes helping make the target look closer
Old 08-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The new fat shafts irritate me. In the indoor league in the winter, where everyone is pretty much jumbled together, it gets frustrating competing with guys throwing sewer pipes down there when i'm using my FMJs. I know, I can change my arrows too, but come on, how much more of an advantage is needed really?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by YooperMike
The new fat shafts irritate me. In the indoor league in the winter, where everyone is pretty much jumbled together, it gets frustrating competing with guys throwing sewer pipes down there when i'm using my FMJs. I know, I can change my arrows too, but come on, how much more of an advantage is needed really?

Indoors they are a huge advantage.Small x rings and touching the line might be the difference in winning and losing.Plus you shoot a bunch of arrows.Puts odds in your favor.

Outdoors with center x ring and 11's aren't in play,they are very little to no advantage.Slight advantage when 11's are in play.

ASA corner 12's,they are a noticable advantage.Miss a line and it could cost you 4 points.

The problem is they are never the advantage that most feel they are.A fat shaft only gives you half of it's shaft diameter difference.The other half is on the other side of the arrow.

I have found for me,because I used low energy setups outside that at distance,I lost accuracy.It takes a little energy to have good flight at distance.I would have to build them with higher foc and more vane and by that time,I lost too much speed.

I found a small diameter shaft actually gave me a few more points because of sheer accuracy.

I have also seen woman pros shooting A/C/E's in 3-d for the same reasons.

Even some men in IBO still use ACC's or similar shafts for the center 11 game where more distance is the norm.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YooperMike
you could get a half dozen used 2712's or 2613's built with tips for about 50bucks off of AT. Those are the two biggest arrows made...

THey really are an advantage indoors for the guys that shoot 300's EVERYTIME. Those are the guys that are really in competition, and EVERY X that you can get is needed. In a large 5spot competition one X can win.

Derek
Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea most of the time i got beat this year by one x