Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ultimate 3d rig

Old 08-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default ultimate 3d rig

I was shooting my hunting bow (70# airborne101) and my target bow (60# airborne101) today and was a bit disappointed with my grouping difference at distance. The 25 knot wind was partially to blaim. Anyhow, this brings up a good question, I really do not think that the best 3D rig is the most expensive. Here would be my rig:
  • bowtech 101 airborne 70# set at 64#s
  • sure lok sight
  • 2" scope with 0.019 fiber and 4x lens (might have to modify an HHA to get that diameter, best that I can find is 1.75")
  • 10" fuse stabilizer
  • limbdriver rest
  • 350 grain arrows (too many choices)
Yeah, I know that this would not meet IBO or ASA. Just thinking of a perfect rig (fast, flat, quick drop away, large view, light). What are your thoughts and why?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Either the BT Constitution.....or one of the Hoyt or Mathews longer ATA bows.

It wouldn't be anything under 7-1/2" BH or under 40" ATA.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Mathews Prestige for my 3D rig and I've been 100% pleased with it.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

If i was shooting 3d for fun and had no speed regulations, i would say i HCA Iron Mace. with thier Speed pros. I mean, 400 FPS with little KE is good for something.
thos bows shoot real sweet.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I concur, I shoot my 101 at 63 lbs with a 331 grain arrow for my 3d setup. I love it.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by live2Draw
If i was shooting 3d for fun and had no speed regulations, i would say i HCA Iron Mace. with thier Speed pros. I mean, 400 FPS with little KE is good for something.
thos bows shoot real sweet.
Yes, with rules set aside. I will have to look into that bow. It has to be one hell of a pull to get that kind of speed.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

There isn't an organization that will allow speed pros to be shot that I am aware of.They are below the 5gr rule for IBO and will put you above the 280 rule for ASA.

So they are pretty much useless for 3-d.

The Pros winning in the ASA and IBO are not using "speed" bows.They are using long a-a bows with forgiving riser designs and decent brace heights.

Although,Tom Crowe a senior pro did just pull out a win with a Monster.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just us my hunting rig
Old 08-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

The difference between the guys using 3D specific rigs and guys using hunting setups (for competitive 3D) is typically (in my expericence) about 5 spots in the final scoring.

Can you shoot 3D and have a great time....and be "competitive"? Sure. Are you gonna be a perennial contender with a hunting rig? I don't think so. Not around here, anyways.

Competitive 3D and hunting are 2 different animals.

Do I know some guys who shoot their hunting rigs and win? Yep. Few and far between, though.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
The difference between the guys using 3D specific rigs and guys using hunting setups (for competitive 3D) is typically (in my expericence) about 5 spots in the final scoring.

Can you shoot 3D and have a great time....and be "competitive"? Sure. Are you gonna be a perennial contender with a hunting rig? I don't think so. Not around here, anyways.

Competitive 3D and hunting are 2 different animals.

Do I know some guys who shoot their hunting rigs and win? Yep. Few and far between, though.

Agreed

It is just a matter of what you want to achieve and what you are doing it for.

BUT,a "target" bow is not going to make you a winner.You must posses that ability first.Although,a target bow will give you a few points that might mean the difference in 5th and 1rst.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.