Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
It's Hard to Understand Some "Pro" Shops. >

It's Hard to Understand Some "Pro" Shops.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's Hard to Understand Some "Pro" Shops.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

All archers should, at the very least, know how to setup and maintain their bows and arrows. Nock height and centershot are just not that hard. Neither is getting the arrow spined correctly and tuning the bow and arrow together. I am constantly amazed at the numbers that have been bowhunting for years and don't have the faintest idea about these basics.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's possible most pro shops have no head for business and really don't care to, it's not their primary source for income. They are just you (not in skills obviously) with a title and they charge. More like a garage sale that people for some reason pay retail prices at.

The thing that doesn't make any sense is it's not difficult at all to do it right. Guy just lost a customer (s) and a potential friend (s). Makes no sense at all.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigbulls
You mean you actually got it to tune?

The Reezens have got to be the most difficult to tune bows I have seen in a long long time.

The only way we have had much luck getting a reezen to tune has been by using a whisker biscuit. What rest was on that one?
Oddly bigbulls, it had on a WB.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
All archers should, at the very least, know how to setup and maintain their bows and arrows. Nock height and centershot are just not that hard. Neither is getting the arrow spined correctly and tuning the bow and arrow together. I am constantly amazed at the numbers that have been bowhunting for years and don't have the faintest idea about these basics.
Originally Posted by nodog
It's possible most pro shops have no head for business and really don't care to, it's not their primary source for income. They are just you (not in skills obviously) with a title and they charge. More like a garage sale that people for some reason pay retail prices at.

The thing that doesn't make any sense is it's not difficult at all to do it right. Guy just lost a customer (s) and a potential friend (s). Makes no sense at all.
I agree guys, wouldn't you think one would simply just take pride in their work? I've had guys here that told me to actually open a shop. My answer is, I just don't want the hassle. I'll try to help people out one at a time.

I'd **** too many people off too when they walked through the door a week before the season asking to set up their bow for the first time so they could hunt. I'd tell them to get out. LOL j/k.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm lucky to have a good tech nearby.The guy actually went to both the Bowtech and PSE factories and was trained over several days on setting up,fine tuning etc.He has the diplomas on the shop walls.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

What makes the Rezeen so hard to tune? I don't have my own shop but I set alot of bows up for people. I have done about 15 bows so far this year. I have not had any Rezeens to set up so I want to know before someone brings one to me.

I like shooting the bows also after I set them up. That way I know what each bow shoots like, it helps when I go to purchase one.

I have shot some bows that are advertises that they have no shock and all kinds of speed that really were terrible bows in my opinion. I have also shot low end bows that don't get the advertisement and they are really great bows. It also helps me point people in the right direction when buying a new bow. No everyone wants $1000 to $1500 wrapped up in a bow.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking about "Pro Shops", I went to our local shop and saw the "pro" mount a prong style rest backwards. He had it on the front of the bow with the prongs pointing towards the shooter. I really like supporting the local small business owner whenever possible but this guy is an idiot.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Reezen def does not adhere to typical Mathews (singlecam) setup-

1) For many years Mathews has had the standard of 13/16" out from the riser for centershot. It used to be you could set it to that and assuming an appropriately spined arrow, arrow flight was on the money. The Reezen tunes quite a bit further in-5/8" is more common.

2) the Extreme reflex in the riser, makes it a bit more difficult than many other Mathews bows as well-if you have the typical problem of torquing a Mathews grip, it's really going to be an issue on the Reezen.

3) Idler wheel lean is more critical as well. It needs to be dead nuts- most of the other Mathews bows are a bit more forgiving in this regard. A twist or two out on one side can cause havoc.

Being that even when centershot and idler lean is corerct your sight pins are going to be way off center (I've yet to see one that isn't), I'd say the bow may have some issues with horizontal nock travel. A Whisker biscuit would definitely help tame this.

I'll say this- when the bow is on the money, and the archer is on the money, the bow is scary accurate- but it is a finnicky beast.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have to agree

I have to agree with Bruce on this statement.

Also if you open any kind of shop no matter how good you are people never really want to pay, at least not enough for you to make a descent profit. Most will just go to the big box stores and shoot their untuned bows to save a dollar.

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
Old 08-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

i wont use any so called pro shops here in the UK first there orientated towards target archery and the last guy that came to our field archery club after buying from a shop over here had the wrong arrows for his bow the wrong draw length and a realease rest while shooting fingers

it was just a matter for the shop of taking his money and getting rid of him he told me the shops name and i have heard many bad reports about them but there still going if i had the money and time i would start my own i at least know how to look at an arrow chart and set up a bow been doing it for a long time now but i cant believe how much they dont care over here
thats part of the reason i buy all my gear from the states and the internet i should mention i had three shops back home in australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.