Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Can someone explain arrows to me? >

Can someone explain arrows to me?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can someone explain arrows to me?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Spike

Default Can someone explain arrows to me?

Arrows are probably the most complicated part about archery when your just getting into it, anyways bought a 60#moab and i'll have a draw length of 27" now it comes with victory arrows 350 and it says i should use a 400 on their chart, but a bow thats 70# with 29 draw uses a 250, so their chart goes by the higher the number the weaker the arrow? Also i read you shouldn't use a arrow that isn't 5 grains per pound of your bow, so a 60# bow you would use a min 300grain arrow is that was the 350stands for with the victory? Then you add the insert/tip that would add weight too yes? or are these grains including the insert/nocks? Sorry for the blable but i'm so confused.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all the arrow number is just that. You have to look at the specs to get the weight per inch. You multiply that by the length, add insert, nocks and points to get your total arrow weight.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Spike

like i have a 350 victory arrows and my bow is 60# with 27"dl and the chart says i need to use a 400 will using hte 350 throw me off that much?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Spike

Im not an expert on arrows but here is a little insight on your situation. Forget about the number on the arrow for right now. I am going to assume that you are shooting hunting arrows and not target arrows. Also in saying that Im going to assume you are shooting vforce arrows. Vforce 350 arrows are 8.8 GPI. You having a 27" draw length It would be safe to say you are shooting a 27.5" arrow. Just the arrow alone is going to weigh 242 grains.

Now back to the number on the arrow. The number on the arrow represents the spine. The Vforce 350 has a spine of .35. The 400 has a spine of .4. The lower the number, the more GPI. So your recommended arrow is actually lighter in this case. You will be ok shooting the heavier arrow. Makes for more kinetic energy. The difference in the GPI is only 0.7 GPI from the 350 to 400 series arrows.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

If there was anyway you could get them to send 400's instead of the 350's,I would do it.They might be a little easier to tune broadheads but the 350's will work.

The 400 is .400 of an inch deflection when the shaft is supended between 2 points,28" apart with a 2lb weight hung from the center.(pretty sure this is correct)So you can see the higher the number,the more deflection there is.Meaning the arrow is weaker and is a lower spined arrow.

Some manufactuers do not rate their arrows this way but they should imo.Others like CX use arbritrary numbers that do not correlate to anything that I am aware of.A 250 is lighter than a 350 with those arrows.

Others have 45-60 or such and those numbers are 45# to 60# BUT that doesn't take into draw length or style of bow.Speed bows at 60# and 30" need a much stiffer spine than a 26" draw round wheel cam.So those numbers are very innacurate.

IMO,the best way is to list actuall spine deflection.Much easier to teach someone what that means than try and explain all the others.

As far as weight,spine deflection has very little to do with that.You can have heavy weight, light spined arrows as well as light weight,stiff spined arrows.