Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tips for picking a Outfitter >

Tips for picking a Outfitter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips for picking a Outfitter

Old 08-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Spike

Default Tips for picking a Outfitter

Well....I am seriously debating going on my 1st trip.....I am thinking about the mid-west,.....I have never been on a hunt like these before, so , I was hoping that some of you who have could send a few tips my way as far as what to look for, and what to look out for... I have to say, this may be a once in a lifetime deal for me, so like most of you, I dont have the $$$ to take a chance on a shady hunt. I have no problem paying for a quality hunt, do I want to harvest a trophy, of course, but I am looking for a memorable experience as well......
I hunt the Northeast, the hunting here ( at least for me ) is far different from what it is in the Mid-west, or places like that....I dont have the opportunity to hunt a big farm over a food plot...or rattle with a decoy....ect...ect....
So, I guess some of my questions are....guided or semi-guided...( I have never hunted out there, so I am a little nervous about placing my stands and such on a semi-guided )....early season, pre-rut. rut. or late season?....I would have to guess that the rut is the best.....but I wouldnt know? does shot opportunity really drop off that much between those seasons.....I would think that the deer seen on farms would be a little predictable in early season, ( they need to travel to food )?
Any help would be great....i am not "dead-set" on the mid-west, but I really have a urge for that area....illinois, missouri, kansas, kentucky, indiana, ohio.........
if you dont feel comfortable giving me names of outfitters....just a few tips would help...I am really trying to do my homework on this one.....Thanks Guys. Jay
Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't help you with a name of an outfitter but I have used Huntinfool.com to find outfitters. There is a subscription fee but it's worth it to find a quality outfitter and this time of year you can get discounted hunts.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can highly recommend Paradise Adventures in Altoona, KS owned and operated by Kurt Nunnenkamp. http://www.kansasparadiseadventures.com/aboutus.html
Old 08-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy got this one in 2008.
His third year going to this outfitter.
He says it's outstanding!

Also, you can drive there, so it may be cheaper, along with bringing your meat home!

http://www.whitetailoutfittersofohio.com/
Attached Thumbnails Tips for picking a Outfitter-004_email.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texas ain't bad either...
Attached Thumbnails Tips for picking a Outfitter-group_2_email.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Personally I have to agree with this statement..subsribe to Huntin' Fool magazine...you will get alot of opinions here and write down those names and then cross reference to see if Huntin' Fool gives you the same name

Originally Posted by 130woodman
I can't help you with a name of an outfitter but I have used Huntinfool.com to find outfitters. There is a subscription fee but it's worth it to find a quality outfitter and this time of year you can get discounted hunts.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't overlook KY, another one you can drive to!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Can't help out with an outfitter. I've been bow hunting for over 40 years and thank God, I've never had to use one. I did call one once, and after finding out I could buy a new truck for the price he was going to charge me I blew that idea off.
Good luck!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Do a lot of research and ask for references whoever you choose! I can Highly recommend www.spikesnspurs.com talk to Travis, tell him Tim told you to call. He's one of the most stand up guys you'll come across in the outfitting world. He's not a fly by night operation, he own a tire shop/feed store in his town and needs to keep a respectable reputation with the locals. That being said he owns/leases about 6000 acres that is a mix of timber, crp, and crop ground. I hunted there last year and had a great time, and will be doing another hunt with him this fall. He has a few spots left for archery, and had a few guys cancel for rifle/muzzle loader hunts so there are a few openings on those hunts too. He runs his gun hunts on different ground from his archery hunts. He is very affordable too, located in NE Missouri he's not too far from the Pike county IL area at a fraction of the cost. Also tags are over the counter archery is the best deal $225 includes 1 buck, 1 doe, and 2 turkeys. Good luck wherever you go!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

www.trophydeerhunt.com
Jarod with Illinois Ohio Valley Trophy Hunts is a great guy, and some of the nicest people you will meet. He leases tons, TONS, of land, as he has a lot of ins and outs in the business as he sells land in the area too. He will put you on deer, do whatever you think is needed to make your hunt successful, and its some darn good food to. I highly reccomend him to anyone, and located in the southern part of Illinois, there are plenty of deer and action going on at all times. I am not making the trip this year, but next fall I will return to hunt with him as a little late graduation present.