Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting Help?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scouting Help?

i scouted today for about 3 hours and i am stumped! i couldnt find a trail for anything with all the underbrush...i was wondering what you guys look for when scouting?? i looked high and low for any deer sign that i could set a camera up over for a future tree stand..i have looked in corn fields and bean fields and open hay fields and timber and i found 0 sign...i really need to get a spot for a stand! help please
Old 08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tips

I would start with some aerial photo's (Yahoo maps or GoogleEarth are good). Look for funnels, corners and edges - places that concentrate deer movement. Look for food sources. If you need some help identifying them, then post the pictures on this forum and we can provide some pointers.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm hunting a new property this fall....and ALL I've done is study the topo.

Deer will utilize certain terrain features (unless prompted by extenuating circumstances) ....most everywhere. If you have access to a topo of the parcel....post that up.

In a perfect world, the aerial is a good accompaniment.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

the red is our land. the blue is land i am iffy if i can hunt but have in rifle season....not sure i could use a stand or not..the unlabeled land is timber and the corn and bean fields are marked
Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

also that is a stream running through the middle of our land