Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting Angle?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Angle?

How far do you have to be up in a tree before you need to think about compensating your sight pin for the angle. I hunt out of ladder stands that are 15'. I practice from level ground simply because I don't have a place to put the stand in our yard and I leave my stands out year round. I am guessing it depends on how close the deer is but is there going to be much difference in a 25 yard shot on level ground vs a 25 yard shot 15' up in a tree? I have read the formula sheets to figure out the ratio but it makes my head hurt.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by earnabuck
How far do you have to be up in a tree before you need to think about compensating your sight pin for the angle. I hunt out of ladder stands that are 15'. I practice from level ground simply because I don't have a place to put the stand in our yard and I leave my stands out year round. I am guessing it depends on how close the deer is but is there going to be much difference in a 25 yard shot on level ground vs a 25 yard shot 15' up in a tree? I have read the formula sheets to figure out the ratio but it makes my head hurt.
Your fine, at your height the difference will never be more than a yard. Bend at the waist to keep your form and shoot for the known distance and the exit hole.

For there to be more than 2 yards difference, you need to have extreme heights and ground slopes. The farther the animal, the less the difference as well.

Last edited by Rob/PA Bowyer; 08-21-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Normal" hunting distances is a non issue unless you hunt in hilly terrain.

I assume you are talking about distance and not where you are wanting to hit the animal.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

With modern day highspeed bows theres not much need to compensate too much for the angle. But generally If you have a deer at 15 yards you can expect to add at least 2 yards. So youre looking roughly at atleast 17 yards from you to the deer.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TFOX
"Normal" hunting distances is a non issue unless you hunt in hilly terrain.

I assume you are talking about distance and not where you are wanting to hit the animal.

I do hunt hilly terrain but I don't have any really steep drops to the deer I would be shooting at. At most they are maybe 3 feet below what would be level from my stand... so at 15', at most it might 18' of height difference.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
With modern day highspeed bows theres not much need to compensate too much for the angle. But generally If you have a deer at 15 yards you can expect to add at least 2 yards. So youre looking roughly at atleast 17 yards from you to the deer.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but when aiming up hill or downhill (elevated treestand) the distance is always slightly less. Meaning if you have a 15 yard shot you might aim as if the shot was 13-14 instead.

Shane
Old 08-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

You are correct sir.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sr77
Correct me if I am wrong here, but when aiming up hill or downhill (elevated treestand) the distance is always slightly less. Meaning if you have a 15 yard shot you might aim as if the shot was 13-14 instead.

Shane
For it to be 13yds it would have to be an extreme angle. IT would probably be less than 1yd distance in a normal hunting situation. Unless you were 40ft up in the tree or something like that.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by earnabuck
I do hunt hilly terrain but I don't have any really steep drops to the deer I would be shooting at. At most they are maybe 3 feet below what would be level from my stand... so at 15', at most it might 18' of height difference.
Not an issue.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Put it this way....

If you're 30' up and have a 30YD shot.....your compensated shot (for angle) would be just over 31.5yds.

I wouldn't worry about it.