Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does the loop on your string effect draw length? >

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Again....no issues with this. You adjusted your anchors. We're in agreement.

When your anchor adjustments affect form.....you're sacrificing something to gain.....what?

I can shoot a bow with DL's from 20" to 32". But, there's only one DL that's correct, for me. If I anchor in the correct spot for my correct DL....and THEN change my loop length, the only thing that will change is my anchor points. Whether my accuracy suffers or not.....is irrelevant.

In indoor target archery,you shoot slightly longer to get behind your shot and be able to relax into the shot.

In 3-d,you need a little more back pressure per se to be able to pull off the uphill and downhill shots,while maintaining good form and BT.

To me 3-d is about the same as hunting,others it might not be.

You can adjust BOTH,the loop and draw of the bow to get the DESIRED feel and anchors for each.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never said otherwise. What I said was...every good archer I know KNOWS his preferred release choice and fits his DL with that in mind. What other "equipment" are you referring to (if not release)?
Different styles of releases,Different A-A bows,How the bow is setup,IE,loop and it's length.

All these things play a part in how the shooter will set his bow up.The draw length of the bow will vary in many cases,not just the loop length.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Again....I assumed we're talking about the same archer; utilizing the same bow and utilizing the same release method/aid. Assuming this model archer is fitted, correctly, will his DL change if his loop length changes? I would "think" this is the scenario most people are referencing.

I shot a longer DL when I switched ATA & models within the same bow co. No epiphanies, there.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Again....I assumed we're talking about the same archer; utilizing the same bow and utilizing the same release method/aid. Assuming this model archer is fitted, correctly, will his DL change if his loop length changes? I would "think" this is the scenario most people are referencing.

I shot a longer DL when I switched ATA & models within the same bow co. No epiphanies, there.
Yes,all my videos was with the same bow.I might have been switching back and forth from my Carter to my BT but I shoot both at the same exact settings.28",long loop and 28 1/2" short loop.

They do not feel the same,they are different.But both are "correct" and the loop is part of that equation.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Assuming the same bow and same release,will the archer need to increase his draw length if he shoots without a loop,verses with one?

It really is as simple as that.He has to to get his BODY into the "CORRECT" shooting position.His anchors will change/adjust to ensure the body positions are correct.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

They do not feel the same,they are different.But both are "correct" and the loop is part of that equation.
We could go round and round on this, but obviously it's pointless. Your anchor changed AND your equipment changed. You've introduced criteria outside the "model" I presented.

Same archer. Same bow. Same release method.....ONLY anchor changes when loop is altered. DL will NOT change.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

We could go round and round on this, but obviously it's pointless. Your anchor changed AND your equipment changed. You've introduced criteria outside the "model" I presented.

Same archer. Same bow. Same release method.....ONLY anchor changes when loop is altered. DL will NOT change.

The question of the thread is does the loop affect the draw length.You are trying to make this 1 dimensional,it is not.

Now,to your question, if the shooter has the draw length he wants and he changes the loop length,something has to change.Anchors CAN NOT just be adjusted back because the body positions are not correct(elbow slotting).Therefore,he needs to adjust the loop back to the desired length or shorten the length of the bow,which may or may not be what he likes.Even though his body positioning is correct now.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Now,to your question, if the shooter has the draw length he wants and he changes the loop length,something has to change.Anchors CAN NOT just be adjusted back because the body positions are not correct(elbow slotting).
That's a matter of "choice". But I agree....SOMETHING has to change. We just disagree on what that is.

Let me ask you a yes/no question.....

If you have determined your proper anchor position for the release aid you plan to use......and you know which bow you want to shoot.....AND you have determined the CORRECT DL for your chosen style.......

.....Now you want to change your loop for this EXACT setup.

Will your DL change if you alter your loop length (if you do not change anything else)?

Yes or no?

For you to shoot this setup....I agree....something will have to change. But that'll be your anchor points (assuming, again, you maintain proper fitting).

Using your "logic", an archer could shoot a 25" DL and a really long loop....and have the loop affect his DL. I'm a little more realistic than that. Is he still properly fitted?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TFOX
From post #13 by me.

I do agree that your anchors change with a loop,not arguning that at all.I totally agree 100%,the only thing I dispute is your draw length can and does vary dependant upon the equipment and loop length.

Again,refer back to my other posts.

Using your "logic", an archer could shoot a 25" DL and a really long loop....and have the loop affect his DL. I'm a little more realistic than that. Is he still properly fitted?
They work together.If a loop is added(where one was not previously on the bow),you can not just adjust the anchors.You must shorten the draw length.That can not be disputed,except by you.You have a way of doing that.

That is where this whole post originated from.Does a d-loop change your draw length,the answer is yes,it does.Assuming one was absent before.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Assuming one was absent before.
Holy cow. I give up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.