Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Newbie female bowhunter advice. >

Newbie female bowhunter advice.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie female bowhunter advice.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbie female bowhunter advice.

My buddy's girl decided she wants to start bowhunting. He has limited experience as well, so they are looking to me mostly for direction. She bought a diamond razor edge ,which looks like a good choice for her ,since she can only pull back about 40lbs. She will have a very limited time to practice before opening day 10/17, since she has not even picked up the bow yet, at the shop where theyre setting it up for he draw length, so Im advising that she keeps her set up, as simple as possible. They asked which shafts and heads to buy. I said to go with a heavy shaft, and for heads, something simple like THs or muzzy 3blades, since they are relatively cheap(can afford to practice w/ them and mabye lose a few), easy to tune, and should provide decent penetration from her light poundage bow. I also suggested they set her up in a decent pop up ground blind, as opposed to a tree stand. I just dont see this girl getting in and out of a hang on safely in the dark,ladder stands are kind of impractical where shes going to hunt, and I dont think she going to be able to hang with climbers yet. Only other advice I gave, was to wait for a perfect angle and to keep shots with in 20yds. Does anyone disagree or have anything to add? Thanks.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 08-19-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Typical Buck

I'm glad to see someone getting involed in the sport. However, being that she has never bow hunted I would advise her to gun hunt this year and use the bow next year. If she does hunt with a bow 20 yards is more then likely her limit with such little time to pratice. If the season is long maybe she could be ready near the end of it.
She needs to pratice then pratice out of a stand, I would advise them to but a range finder and only shoot at deer broad side for the 1st couple of years. I help a few young guys every year as a test on there max range I take a 6" paper plate and have them shoot 6 arrows at it from a certain range. If they can hit the plate 4 out of 6 times that is good. We do this at 20,30 and so one yards. A deers vitals are 8" so this gives them 2" to play with. I also tell them to shoot the first doe that somes by to get the gitters out of the way.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by RJPOUTDOORS
I'm glad to see someone getting involed in the sport. However, being that she has never bow hunted I would advise her to gun hunt this year and use the bow next year. If she does hunt with a bow 20 yards is more then likely her limit with such little time to pratice. If the season is long maybe she could be ready near the end of it.
She needs to pratice then pratice out of a stand, I would advise them to but a range finder and only shoot at deer broad side for the 1st couple of years. I help a few young guys every year as a test on there max range I take a 6" paper plate and have them shoot 6 arrows at it from a certain range. If they can hit the plate 4 out of 6 times that is good. We do this at 20,30 and so one yards. A deers vitals are 8" so this gives them 2" to play with. I also tell them to shoot the first doe that somes by to get the gitters out of the way.
I agree 100 %.. Shooting a bow is only a small percentage of bow hunting.
I know many gun hunters that swithed over to bow hunting and found that there was more to bow hunting than just being able to hit a target a 20 yards.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

100% agree. My gf started hunting this year, and ive done pretty much the same things u have. Her setup is a groundblind about 200 yards down hill from me. Its sitting at one spot on a trail that she doesnt have to make shots over 20 yards ( scouted for three hours for a spot that would be that perfect) Her bow is setup at 40lb and i havent decided yet but i think im going with muzzy 75gr three blades. Another thing that will definately help is keep the bow as light as possible. For example I got her a quiver that doesnt attach to the bow and limited the wieght on the stabilizer, things like that.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Spike

The biggest problem I have seen with new woman bowhunters is the draw length and gripping the bow. Go with her to shoot a few times and instruct her on the proper way to hold the bow and let her know why you want to hold it that way. Just about all new bowhunters that I have seen have the draw length way too long. explain the anchor point to her and let her know why you need one.

Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

yep what they said
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

A single pin sight is highly recommended.

See how she shoots, some people take to it quickly.

It is awful late in the year to launch this adventure,

I really don't like the idea of dumping a rookie off on their own.

Just like we did, rookies are inclined to screw things up if left to their own devices.

If your buddy is lucky enough and can have a ground blind set up for her.

He needs to get in there with her and coach her on what is going on.

If she is not ready - HE needs to get in the blind with her and kill something and see if she is OK with the whole adventure.

No real sure about this start her off with a gun either.

If you are going to start her off hunting - I would start her off with squirrels, rabbits and stuff and see if she is alright with the killing end of the sport.

One of the guys in our club started off his GF bowhunting, her shooting abilities were OK, she was alright with a ladder stand.

He puts her in the stand (out of his line of sight-bad move), a small buck comes by and she whacks it - Spine shoots it.

The deer is laying there 50 feet away, bawling, kicking and thrashing - she starts crying and drops her bow and watches for 10-15 minutes at what she had done - Never hunted agian.

Two people in a ground blind HAS to be the best way to start a lady off, maybe let her hunt with a video camera for her first experience.

IMHO
Old 08-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cptleo1
A single pin sight is highly recommended.

See how she shoots, some people take to it quickly.

It is awful late in the year to launch this adventure,

I really don't like the idea of dumping a rookie off on their own.

Just like we did, rookies are inclined to screw things up if left to their own devices.

If your buddy is lucky enough and can have a ground blind set up for her.

He needs to get in there with her and coach her on what is going on.

If she is not ready - HE needs to get in the blind with her and kill something and see if she is OK with the whole adventure.

No real sure about this start her off with a gun either.

If you are going to start her off hunting - I would start her off with squirrels, rabbits and stuff and see if she is alright with the killing end of the sport.

One of the guys in our club started off his GF bowhunting, her shooting abilities were OK, she was alright with a ladder stand.

He puts her in the stand (out of his line of sight-bad move), a small buck comes by and she whacks it - Spine shoots it.

The deer is laying there 50 feet away, bawling, kicking and thrashing - she starts crying and drops her bow and watches for 10-15 minutes at what she had done - Never hunted agian.

Two people in a ground blind HAS to be the best way to start a lady off, maybe let her hunt with a video camera for her first experience.

IMHO
This can be right in some cases but i took my gf gun hunting last year. She cracked a doe at 9am it ran down the hill and back up then dropped ten feet in front of us, she went over and gave it a finally shot to end it and she was fine ad excited. It all depends on the person, not all women (and men) are the same.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

1. Slight difference of opinion on BH's......as I would suggest a COC head. But the ones suggested are still solid choices. Just stay away from mechanicals with that setup.

2. Make sure she practices out of that blind.

3. Arrow spine is paramount. Make sure they get her dialed in.

Tell her to have fun and not worry about killing anything, at first....but also not to be picky (don't let the TV shows get in her head). Take any deer she wants to shoot.

There are (IMO) 4 keys to arrow penetration (particularly from a low poundage bow). I'll list them, in order of importance (again....MY opinion):

1. Shot placement
2. SHARP BH's
3. Arrow/bow marriage well-tuned
4. Sufficient energy for the BH of choice.