HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie female bowhunter advice.
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 AM
The Rev
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by RJPOUTDOORS
I'm glad to see someone getting involed in the sport. However, being that she has never bow hunted I would advise her to gun hunt this year and use the bow next year. If she does hunt with a bow 20 yards is more then likely her limit with such little time to pratice. If the season is long maybe she could be ready near the end of it.
She needs to pratice then pratice out of a stand, I would advise them to but a range finder and only shoot at deer broad side for the 1st couple of years. I help a few young guys every year as a test on there max range I take a 6" paper plate and have them shoot 6 arrows at it from a certain range. If they can hit the plate 4 out of 6 times that is good. We do this at 20,30 and so one yards. A deers vitals are 8" so this gives them 2" to play with. I also tell them to shoot the first doe that somes by to get the gitters out of the way.
I agree 100 %.. Shooting a bow is only a small percentage of bow hunting.
I know many gun hunters that swithed over to bow hunting and found that there was more to bow hunting than just being able to hit a target a 20 yards.