Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Surgery Changed Things??????????? >

Surgery Changed Things???????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Surgery Changed Things???????????

Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Surgery Changed Things???????????

I had a major surgery this year. I now have a titanium plate in my neck with six screws. I was shooting 70 pounds last year very well. I had to tame it down a lot this year. I have been able to start shooting for the last couple of months. I am shooting 54 pounds out to 50 yards pretty good. Season starts on the 29th of this month. Should I just keep it at 54 pounds or should I try to get it higher for elk and mulies???

I should add I'm shooting a Bowtech Tomkat, with 5575's and 125 grain Muzzy.

Thanks Bryan
Old 08-19-2009, 10:18 AM

Don't push it. I think you have enough KE for the game you mentioned.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think keep the pull weight comfortable, shoot accurate, and kill your elk and/or deer.
With your quality broadhead leading the way, that arrow will do the job on a broadside deer or elk.
A friend of mine and his wife archery hunt every year, I don't know exactly what her draw length is nor do I know exactly what weight of pull her bow is, BUT she kills every elk that she shoots, and I pulled her bow back once, and it felt like a kids bow, BUT she uses quality COC broadheads and she puts them in the boiler, and it works for her!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

i would leave it where it is at until you feel more comfortable. That should be enough to kill most animals anyway.

rick
Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out tonight and double checked the poundage. It was 58 instead of 54. I cranked it up to 66 and shot 4 arrows. I can't believe the difference. I cranked it back down to 58 and shot some good 20 yard groups. I think it needs to stay there until next year. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry about your neck. But I've been there with a shoulder I agree with the others don't push it till your ready
Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know how you feel. I just got done with major knee surgery...broke my Tibia an now have a 5 inch plate and 8 screws in my knee. Wont affect my draw weight, but it'll affect how much I'll be able to hunt this fall....Good luck!!