Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind >

Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind

Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Spike

Question Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind

Guys,

I hunt with a couple of buddies that feel like the wind doesn't matter now that they have sent lock suits and scent lock undergarments. They spray down with HS scent away and where rubber boots. I have all the same gear, but still enter my a stand that is favorable to the wind direction. We argue about this all the time. I don't like them hunting a stand when the wind isn't right. I feel it tips the deer off on the trails, then shuts things down. Seriously tell me your opinion. Does the wind matter anymore?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

Yes, it does matter. You are right and your friends are wrong.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Yes it matters ALOT!!!! Scentlok suits are being proven to be marginally effective at best.............I have a sentblocker jacket but don't trust it. It is the warmest jacket i have though..
Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Spike

they say u dont hve to worry about it with scent lock but i sure as heck wouldnt risk it...deer r smarter then we r
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

I just want to hunt the property next to you while they are hunting.
You already know your answer.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Coming into bowhunting, I know I underestimated their nose. I don't, now. I agree with Greg, wholeheartedly.

People can say anything they like....and believe such. A hunter can't mask ALL of his scent......and the exposed areas are (IMO) the WORST for transmitting human odor (the mouth being No.1).

What would bother the crap outta me is.......wondering what smelled me and skirted me....that I never heard nor saw. We've all been busted by our scent. Period. If I get busted, opening morning (or any time after), I'll find solace in knowing it was my setup (which allowed deer to come in from downwind of me) that did me in....and not my refusal to properly play the wind.

There are plenty of instances where you can have deer come in from downwind of you and not smell you. But, these have more to do with currents/thermals.....and nothing (IMO) to do with them smelling a "little" of you....and not caring.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GregH
x 3. They may get away with it with young deer, but a mature buck, doe will do a 180 at the first human wiff.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

i think human odor is a big factor. for the most part its hard to play the wind where i hunt because the deer come from any direction. its extremely thick woods. i hunt regardless of wind direction. if i alert deer i give that area a break for a week or so and hunt where i think the deer moved to. i do use scent elim and try to use red fox urine or deer urine around my stand.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

As Greg stated; "your friends are wrong". The suits may help lower your scent, and I believe they do. They don't however get rid of your scent all toghether and nothing ever will. I have worn my full scent lock and had deer go down wind of me and not smell me....or enough of me to get alarmed and keep walking. I've had it on and had deer stop and sniff and turn around and walk away and leave because they were not comfortable because they smelled enough of me. I've had deer slam on the breaks and blow and bolt away with my scent lock on because they smelt all of me at that point. It all depends on wind, thermals, heat, raining, not raining, light wind, stong wind, moring hunt, evening hunt and many other factors. Thats why its called hunting. Your buddies are ignorant to think they are now invicible to deer because of scent lock. Its to bad they are wrecking your spot because of this. Good luck
Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wind matters! I have shot deer at twenty yard in a tripod stand out in the open, with the wind in my face. Wearing a black cowboy hat, red shirt, blue jeans and cologne.. Wind is the most important thing in my book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.