Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind >

Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind

Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GregH
Yes, it does matter. You are right and your friends are wrong.
Nuf said!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My time is valuable to me. When I go to my stand I want to see deer. Scentlock or not, I am sitting downwind from the trail. When I can smell the fart coming up through my suit I know the deer can too.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

By now I'm sure you've figured out your freinds need to get a big clue. Any deer hunter knows that wind and movement are the 2 major factors of a successful day in the woods, WITH WIND BEING NUMBER 1 IMO.(since wind will get you busted from a long distance, way before movement will.) I do everything I can to mask it but like someone said above, theres too many aresa to cover them all and you can never cover them all. You sure your friends arent spokesmen for the scentlok company?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Short answer yes it does matter. Longer answer, all the things your frinends are doing for scent prevention are good and help, but nothing can stop 100% of scent. My thought has always been that those things help because instead of leaving 100% of my scent everywhere I'm leaving 50%. And less scent may make a deer think that its old scent and are less alarmed by it. Yes I have had deer downwind of me with scentlock on, but nothing with age. At best they just walk off instead of running off as they just aren't sure about the scent, maybe because it wasn't as strong I guess. If I had to choose to spend my money on it would be more stands/stand locations to hunt the wind better then on scentlock
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think u are right and i do the same things
Old 08-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Spike

When I was growing up 1st thing anyone taught a person about white tail. They LIVE by nose. Yes excellent hearing and eagle-eye sight. I don't know how often I've seen a deer spoke at a shift in the wind. Camo can conseal you. Wind/rain cover your sound, providing your not making a huge racket. Heck deer will even investigate sometime when sighting or hearing you in the woods. Until they catch your scent. Scentlok or no. human scent, unless you wrestle with a skunk, can not be completely covered if the wind is wrong. Just what I was always taught.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Wind matters. That's why you spray down really good no matter what type of hunting suit you have. Them deer smell really good lol, so you better spray down or all the big bucks will smell you.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it didn't matter you wouldn't be seeing the deer get wind of all the hunters on TV these days because the vast majority of them were the Scent Block stuff. They still get winded, therefore they are not that effective.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer seem to come from down wind of me no matter what I do. I do what I can. Swirling wind is the worst. Scent garments work if they are taken care of. There like a plastic bag made out of cloth. Darn near rubber boot quality without the sweat. One big cover scent and after cooking them in the dryer they smell burnt. Have ya seen the smokers they're sellin these days? Washing the stuff kills the garment that's because your washing out the stuff that gets cooked, still the garment is a very tight weave.

On cold days I have several layers on. When the stuff is woods ready it's got to be trapping a whole lot of me inside those "bags".
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Scent loc is a gimic that will reduce smell, to an extent. Got to realize that most of your stink comes from your mouth. Scent loc wont do a thing for that. If the wind is not right, you will get busted. Stupid young deer will sometimes ignore you, to and extent, but you will not get a mature deer down wind from you with just scent loc. I have seen it. Got friends who felt that way untill they kept getting busted. Had trouble tagging decent deer. And once they started playing the wind, and not going out and stinking up their best spots, they started tagging nice deer.

If you dont play the wind, it wont matter what you do, you will get busted.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 08-27-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.