Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind >

Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok bow hunters give me the truth about the wind

Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wheatley
If it didn't matter you wouldn't be seeing the deer get wind of all the hunters on TV these days because the vast majority of them were the Scent Block stuff. They still get winded, therefore they are not that effective.
If they were out they alone...I couldn't go by the stuff recorded. It's a wonder they get a shot at anything, down wind or not with all they got going on. If anything it says critters aren't as smart as we give'm credit for, but your take on it may mean they're getting smarter.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh hell yea wind matters. I do EVERYTHING possible though to be as scent free as I can be and then try to play the wind as best I can!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Even if you didnt smell at all, wind matters, because deer use it, and they use it effectively! In a sense, if you can't play the wind game, even if you don't smell at all, you will see fewer deer!!
That said, scent lock is made of activated charcoal, which is pretty much ruined within 10 minutes of pullin' it outta the bag. the silver stuff works to some degree, but nothing is eliminating your scent. period, end of story. I do use the sprays and i use cover scents. Not spending 250 bucks on a jacket that is made of nice soft fabric and does nothing more than my normal jacket
Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I dont hunt by the wind and I have excellent luck. I hunt by a housing development though and deer smell people all day long so its a natural odor to them. I sit in my stand and hear children playing and lawnmowers or leafblowers or snowblowers running whatever the case may be. But I also hunt another property occasionally where human odor isnt daily life for the deer and unless you hunt by the wind you dont see a thing. So my answer is....... depends on the area. Most likely though Id take the wind seriously.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by GregH
Yes, it does matter. You are right and your friends are wrong.
Originally Posted by leadoperator
Nuf said!
You would have thought, it was the first reply and the thread went 3 pages.

GregH said it perfectly.