Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting Naturally >

Hunting Naturally

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Naturally

Old 08-27-2009, 05:04 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Naturally

Does anyone hunt without the use of trailcams, bait, calls, etc. I hunt public land and use none of this. I love finding what the deer are doing and getting on them. I am not knocking anyone who baits, just seeing how many of us still hunt the old fashioned way.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Does anyone hunt without the use of trailcams, bait, calls, etc.

IMO....I don't use my trail cams to aid me in hunting. They're an "inventory" tool....and they're out of the woods long before they'd "aid" me get on a specific deer.

I hunt public land and use none of this. I love finding what the deer are doing and getting on them.

Cool.

I am not knocking anyone who baits, just seeing how many of us still hunt the old fashioned way.

Do you hunt food plots? Water holes? Ag crop fields? What's the difference in HOW you hunt these spots.....v a baited area?

Hunt ethically...and legally....and have at it. If baiting's legal.....that's part of it. Congrats, if you're successful.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:31 AM
Spike

No I don't hunt water holes or bait. I hunt public land in the mountains.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Spike

My new hunting grounds consist of some timber in alot of open field, hayed fresh week ago. But otherwise thats the exstent of any type of food plot. Although theres more than 100 acres of hayfields and timber.

As for the rest. Budget dictates that I have a couple used bows that most people on here prolly either think are anitique or never heard of them. My cam is me sitting up on hillside 50-400 yds off around early evenin binos in hand. Or the old relyable actually walking the ground earlier in the day. Found a great acorn patch inside the timber while I was doin this. bedding area, hidden water holes, all kinds of hotspots (I hope).

So guess you could say I am doin my hunting old school. Newest thing I have are arrows and a stand I got at auction 1 1/2 yrs ago at decent price. So yes I for 1 do it same as you. For a couple reasons, mainly prolly cuz thats the way I learned way back when.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt just like you on public land with no trail cams or bait. I get to know the area I am hunting and make decisions on where to hunt that year based off of previous years. If that doesn't work I look at it as an opportunity to go hunt in a different place I have never been to to basically scout more. I like it that way.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Spike

Great responses guys. Again I am not knocking the way another person hunts. All I read about is baiting, and checking trail cams. This takes away from the hunt for me. I learned the old way to. Scout and get excited about what might come in. You know the hunt part.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 AM
bigcountry

Do you hunt a compound or do you hunt with bows and arrows you make and hunt naturally?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL....

Be nice, BC!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by GMMAT
LOL....

Be nice, BC!
Point I am getting at, is there is always someone more natural. I thought I hunted naturally, until I seen some guys at these primitive events. Unless you make your own leather from skins you killed, and knap your own heads from chert you went out and found, and cut your own arrows from cane you cut, gut your deer with a texas blue stone blade, you wasn't natural.

some of these fellas go to the limits. They even have me thinking, thats too freakin far.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

i dont use a trail cam...just because i dont have that kind of money....but i hunt over food plots, and with treestands...also use compound bows, but also use a recurve on ocasion. i hunt how i see fit, i try to use everything i can to my advantage when bow hunting.
i hunt my own way, and im happy with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.