Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First bow season...a little help? >

First bow season...a little help?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bow season...a little help?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default First bow season...a little help?

Alright I have a few questions since this is my first bow season and I've never used scents or calls

1. How do I know when the rut is coming? Stupid question, but never being out in the woods to see it what should I look for?

2. Our bow season starts in September in Wisconsin, what calls/scents should I use during early season? Just prior to the rut? During rut? Post rut? I'm looking to pick up some sort of call because I think that'll be part of the fun of bowhunting but I need to know what to look for

3. What is the "best" time to target big bucks? Is it pre-rut or during the actual rut?

4. How long does the rut usually last?

5. Are cover scents worth it or does good old fashion scent elimination work alright too?

I think that's it for now but thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright I have a few questions since this is my first bow season and I've never used scents or calls

1. How do I know when the rut is coming? Stupid question, but never being out in the woods to see it what should I look for?
You will know when you start seeing rubs and scrapes which usually start to apper around Ocotober 20 something. At least here in WI
2. Our bow season starts in September in Wisconsin, what calls/scents should I use during early season? Just prior to the rut? During rut? Post rut? I'm looking to pick up some sort of call because I think that'll be part of the fun of bowhunting but I need to know what to look for
I would not use any scent or call in September. Maybe some light grunts if a buck is to far out but that's about it. I start using my calls and rattling in mid October thru November. I like the Primos calls but try some at the store and pick one out you like. I have a grunt tube and a can call. the can is doe in estrous.
3. What is the "best" time to target big bucks? Is it pre-rut or during the actual rut?
That is the million dollar question it depends on where you are hunting and how big of a buck you are talking about. You will have to spend time in a tree or in the woods to answer that question properly.

4. How long does the rut usually last?
Again ask 4 people get 4 differant answers it depends on how many does are in the area and what there cycles are like.

5. Are cover scents worth it or does good old fashion scent elimination work alright too?

I don't wear cover scents I use scent elimination stuff. It depends on who you ask. If one thing don't work try another. There is no 1 way to kill a deer. That is what makes it fun. Go play and see what works for you most of it is trial & error.

Good Luck
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, what 130 Outdoorsman said.

I will add this. When the first little 4/6 point comes thru the woods opening weekend chasing a doe, don't think, 'Oh, the rut's early this year'. They are just like teenagers, running after all the girls looking for some actions. Look for the older bucks to start moving on a steady pace like they are on a mission. Then you know the rut is kicking in.

Good luck and enjoy it. If you are lucky enough to see it up close and personal, you'll never be the same again.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

as far as the rut goes it is a fluctuating thing it cannot be completely scientifically predicted. i would be looking for some rutting action to begin in the 2nd to the 3rd week of October and i would look for the primary rut to be winding down about the second to the third week of november. i have found the most rutting activity to be seen the first week of november into the 2nd week of november. this is when i use estrous scents with bleats only when i see a buck. i have not had luck with blind calling with this method. pre-rut i like to use rattles and grunts in both blind situations and in situations where i have a buck in view. like 130 said trial and error what works one day will not necessarily work the other and in one area what may be dynamite might simply bomb in another.

one thing to remember is that you will not learn unless you are sitting in the woods. take this first year to observe primarily learn as much as you can and then try some tricks or experiments to see what works for you in your situation.