Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I want a Bow...

Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Default I want a Bow...

BUT I'm a newbie and only played with the ones they give you in grade school for an archery lesson or two and it could have had a suction cup on the end for all I remember.

I don't want one of those though. I want a nice one but I'm clueless as to what I should look at. I can almost promise you bow hunters here that I'd look like a deer caught in headlights if I try to pick one out myself. Serioulsy! I have no clue what to even look at or what would be good for a begin'er like myself.

Okay, so here is where I am...

I'm hunting this year but with a 243 winchester. I have no intrest or business in trying to bow hunt this year but I'd like to become familar with a bow so I can perhaps go next year. I don't see any better time than now in trying to find a nice bow to start with and honing my skills if I even have skills.

Can you help and guide me into the perfect bow for a newbie wanting to learn the fine art of bow hunting? What do I need to know?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Cool. Glad to hear your getting into bowhunting! How much coin do you want to spend on everything?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

you will also need to know your draw length so you can get a bow that fits you .
glad to hear you are going to hunt next year with it because you should practice and get so you canshoot with consistency. See if you can try a few to see what feels good for you and what kind of poundage you can pull with out struggling
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

As far as coin, I'm not sure... Never even looked into pricing one <don't know what they range from> and I don't know what I'm looking for either.

Ahhh. Tupidity. That's how I feel cuz I know nothing right now.

I will go check out some hunting stores I guess and perhaps someone there will help me find my draw length and poundage I can pull?

But yes, I'm intrested. I think I found a new hobby. Please forgive the hunting newb.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the site Ava. I would suggest finding a reputable archery shop and let them help you. They will help you find your draw length, let you try out some bows and get you set up with arrows,a rest,ect.... And dont be afraid to ask questions, they are there to help you. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Thanks Wayne. I will do that. My hunting buddy is my dad so I'll ask him if he knows of anyone special in the area.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i want to give ya a pat on the back first off. you will do fine bowhunting. very few people i have seen ahve the thought process you do. You want to do it proper. most just want to buy an expensive bow then try and hunt with it and ask questions later.

Price range- huge a few hundred to over a thousand.
there are alot of things to look at. which is why you need to go to a bow shop and not a retail giant. a proshop will have a more personal approach to your questions rather than just trying to sell you something.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Thanks mohunter82.

I would find it difficult to bow hunt this year and unfair to the person I'm hunting with and the game if I can't properly shoot. I want to kill and not maim the animal/s.

Practice is perfect. I, not only want to be good, I want to be the best at my game! I'm sure everyone does though.

I'll be looking for a good shop this weekend. Thanks fellow hunters!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kudos for a great way to start. I can't tell you how many times I've seen newbies in a big box store looking to buy a bow 2 days before the season without having ever shot before. Good advice here. Go to a pro shop. Get an idea of what your budget is and shoot as many bows in your price range as you can. Only you can tell what feels good to you! Make sure whatever bow you have fits you draw length and poundage wise and you'll be off to a great start!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

One bow I would strongly recommend for someone that wants something nice but not overboard for their first bow is a Diamond Razors Edge. It has a broad spectrum of weight adjustability with one set of limbs, as well as very easy to set draw length adjustments. The whole package is around $350. You are getting alot of bow for the price. The best piece of advice I can give you, is to go to a reputable archery pro shop. They will be able to steer you in the right direction, and will take their time to set you up properly. I would avoid any big box stores, they are a crap shoot when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.