Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Peep sight question... >

Peep sight question...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peep sight question...

Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default Peep sight question...

I bought my bow last year and took off the sights and peep sight that were already installed on the bow because i like shooting instinctive(thats how my dad shoots so i figured id try). Well this year id like to put them back on because i wasnt shooting as good as id like and dont want to take a chance at putting a bad shot on a deer. I installed the sights back on and put on a kisser button. I dont have a vice and cant put the peep back on myself. Do i really need a peep sight or is the kisser sufficient enough for keeping my anchor point the same every shot?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just go to a good shop and have them install a peep sight.The kisser might help some but...
Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Peep

Although it is possible to do without the peep, your accuracy will improve significantly with it. The peep will also help you to achieve a correct anchor point when shooting from less-than-ideal positiions which are often encountered in treestands and ground blinds.

Any decent shop will be able to install it.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Been shootin without a peep for 2 years now. No more trouble seeing thru the thing early morning and late evening. My accuracy has not suffered and may have improved. Just make sure you are concentrating on your anchor point. That of course is much more important without the peep.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

FWIW-I use the RAD 38 with 3/16" opening.I've tried it several times already well after what would be legal shooting and have no problem seeing through it.I also saw Randy Ulmer the other day advocating using a smaller peep for greater accuracy.In low light he uses the loop opening below the peep but has to use the next lower pin to stay on target.He got the idea from David Holt.I havent tried it myself but might be worth looking into.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by castnblastkev
I dont have a vice and cant put the peep back on myself. Do i really need a peep sight or is the kisser sufficient enough for keeping my anchor point the same every shot?

Installing a sight is not hard without a press, but this is not the point I want to make. If you chose not to use a peep, that's strictly up to you. Some here told you it's better while some say it's fine without one.
If you've been shooting instinct then you used to finding your anchor point to be consistent. You can be just as effective without a peep as with one if you are consistent with your anchor. I've shot both ways. I'm just more proficient with one because I do shoot farther than most. I practice at 60 and 75 yards.
If you can hit an apple at 35 yards three out of five times with your broad heads without a peep, you don't need one.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Spike

ok thanks for your input. Good luck this season!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by castnblastkev
I bought my bow last year and took off the sights and peep sight that were already installed on the bow because i like shooting instinctive(thats how my dad shoots so i figured id try). Well this year id like to put them back on because i wasnt shooting as good as id like and dont want to take a chance at putting a bad shot on a deer. I installed the sights back on and put on a kisser button. I dont have a vice and cant put the peep back on myself. Do i really need a peep sight or is the kisser sufficient enough for keeping my anchor point the same every shot?
You've already got some good info here, I'm just going to add a bit. Go to a shop and try out a couple of different peeps, see which ones you like or don't like. If you don't have GOOD STRINGS, I'd stay away from anything like a G5 that doesn't have a tube to align it. I personally even on my bows with GOOD strings use a tubed peep, though I might not really need it, I just feel more secure with it. I also use SILICON, rather than rubber tubing as it lasts longer. I generally replace the tubing seasonally, I just replaced mine this week to get ready for this year.

What I may loose in FPS I gain in confidence that my peep will be where I need it WHEN I need it there!!!

Just my $.02 on it.....
Old 08-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

With a few guys saying they dont use a peep, I say just keep practicing with the kisser button and see if you shoot fine. If your still not confident with your shooting, then try a peep. But the other day when we were shooting and you put the kisser button on you shot good, so just keep practicing and you should be fine.