Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
what about rage? >

what about rage?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what about rage?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have a pack laying around that I have been scared to use for the last 2 years although they perform well on foam.. The penetration or lack of with them has kept them out of the woods. I might try this year (I am shooting a heavier arrow) but not more then 20 yrds. If I chicken out I still have RazorTricks in the quiver. I shoot 60lbs 28'' Guardian and 415gr arrows.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
I have killed a lot of deer, hogs, and exotics with them and they have worked great for me. To be successful with them you have to be smarted then the broadhead.....LOL. Just make sure it is clicked down and it will be fine, but if you bump it on something then check it before you shoot.

-john
+1. I haven't had a problem. Make sure they are clicked into position and ......"PUT 'EM DOWN!!"
Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM

I am no expert eather but if I was betting on the reason the drury boys & other tv. " pros " don't shoot through there deer is because they don't shoot enough poundage. It will take more than 50# for that big cutting head !!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw View Post
they are 2" of cutting area!!!! Thats why they have trouble passing through!!! You are gonna need some high ke/momentum to ensure all pass thrus with the 2" 2 blade rage... Thats all there is to it... You know they kill, and are accurate, and with a little commen sense wont open up prematurely, just try em out haha!
agreed...blood gushers in my book
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude. Look at the size of the hole that thing leaves and the angle of there blades... I dont think you need to be a physics major to figure it out!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

with mechanicals you need one thing. KE kinetic energy and plenty off it.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Does momentum help with penetration with mechanicals or is it just the mostly KE?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by INBOWMAN View Post
I am no expert eather but if I was betting on the reason the drury boys & other tv. " pros " don't shoot through there deer is because they don't shoot enough poundage. It will take more than 50# for that big cutting head !!
I totally agree I forgot to mention in my post i shoot a DXT 30" 70lbs so I know i shoot a little more KE then most do but I have seen them perform well out of a cousins 30" 50lbs bow with complete pass thru
Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a picture of mark drury in a cabelas magazine that he is only pulling 53 pounds on his bow. I dont care if you are shooting a rage or a fixed blade, 53 pounds wont always pass completely through a deer. I shot the G5 tekans last year with my bowtech 82nd airborn. My set up was producing around 88 ft lbs of KE and I had one arrow not blow through and stick in the ground on a buck. If you shoot an expandable with a big cutting diameter it would be wise to have a set up producing a fair amount of KE. My wife is only pulling 53lbs but every deer she has shot the arrow has been a pass through. Im swithing her over to the rages this year to try out. If penetration becomes and issue she will switch back to fixed blades.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Spike

rage broadheads work fine for me. Practice and make sure you hit the kill zone and they will do the job. I went to 100 grain last year and they really do get it done.