Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need help with my target panic!!!!!!!! >

Need help with my target panic!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help with my target panic!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Spike

Default Need help with my target panic!!!!!!!!

I have been bowhunting since 1985 and I have harvested many deer with my bow including 2 that gross over 155". Last year after several sessions of bad practice and a little research I finally figured out that I suffer from target panic along with Ted Nugent. I have shot and missed several deer and yes wounded a few that I did not recover.
From what I understand it sometimes take years to overcome. I thought about maybe switching to a back tension release to help out some.
Does anyone else suffer from this? How have you handle it and what works for you?
Thanks Alot,
Shaner
Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had it in the past and it is a challenge to overcome. I tried everything including hypnosis (which helped by the way). I think the best solution is to change your drawing and holding routine. If you normally draw and bring your pin up on your target, try bringing the pin down from the top. Or put the pin on your target before you draw and keep it there during the draw. Practice drawing and holding without releasing. Let down and draw again, this time release.
It's going to take work, but you'll eventually beat it.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a recurve without sights, so my potential to miss is inarguably greater than yours, the difference is that I don't lose my mind over a bad shot or two. I refocus myself on doing the shot right and move on. Missing is part of hunting, it happens to everyone, get over it and move on. Obsessing over it isn't helping, stop focusing on what you've done wrong in the past and focus on what you do right. Stop thinking and just "become the arrow", your problem should disappear all by itself.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=Wingbone;3387892] Practice drawing and holding without releasing. Let down and draw again, this time release.
quote]

I had target panic a few years ago and I got over it by drawing and holding without releasing and then letting the bow back down as Wingbone stated. If you have a bag target, aim from dot to dot and don't worry about having to pull the trigger just concentrate on moving the sight from location to location smoothly. Strategy worked great.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kevin1
I shoot a recurve without sights, so my potential to miss is inarguably greater than yours, the difference is that I don't lose my mind over a bad shot or two. I refocus myself on doing the shot right and move on. Missing is part of hunting, it happens to everyone, get over it and move on. Obsessing over it isn't helping, stop focusing on what you've done wrong in the past and focus on what you do right. Stop thinking and just "become the arrow", your problem should disappear all by itself.

Agreed. One thing additionally, practice shorter duration between draw and release.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Spike

i got target panic so bad three years ago that i almost gave up bow hunting. a buddy told me to practice drawing and find a spot on the target.... close my eyes for a few seconds.....open them to the spot again....let the bow down. repeat this several times. it calms you down. after doing it 3-4 times, AND after you have closed your eyes, open them and release the arrow.

after doing this for a few days, i was ok.

hope it helps you, too!
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone who has shot a bow for any amout of time has had to deal with target panic and some don't even realize it.

First, I think going to a BT release for hunting would not be a good idea. I know some are able to hunt with BT, but for most it is not a good idea. Just think, you draw and then have to hold for an extended period of time, with BT?

Here are a couple of exercises I have used in the past to help me, in fact, I start the 3D year by doing these before I ever start worrying about where the arrrow goes.

Blind bail shooting - Stand close to the target with either your eyes closed or with your sight off of your bow. The idea is to relearn the feel of a proper draw, anchor and release. This take time and doing it just one afternoon is not going to be a huge help. A week or two of doing this multiple times will help you get that "feel" back.

Next, stand close to the target (with sight on), draw and hold your pin on the spot you want to hit, but DO NOT RELEASE. You have to retrain your brain not to punch the trigger everytime your pin begins to settle. Draw and hold 4 or 5 times without releasing and then release. Do this several times, changing the time you actually release. Again, this is not an over night fix. Do this from 5 yards for a few days and then step back to 10 yards, working your way back to 20 or 25 yards.

TP can be hard to beat, so hard in fact some never do beat and start driveby shooting, but it CAN be beat. It just takes time and the willingness to do what needs to be done.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I had that problem and overcame it by increasing the tension on my release, hooking my thumb on the rear/side of my neck, and only touching the release with my trigger finger while holding my other three fingers straight out. I also draw and sight on deer I don't intend to shoot just to help me get used to this sight picture. This helps me because I know from the outset that I am not going to actually shoot the deer and lets me concentrate strictly on my form. I also always use a life sized deer target to further reinforce the sight picture for when you are actually shooting at a deer.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

another trick to try is to not focus on the pin, but instead focus on where you want to hit. In a sense you are looking past the pin. Often times your mind with naturally center the target in your peep and when you bring the pin back into focus you will be dead on without even realizing it. So instead of trying to fight yourself and forcing the pin onto the area you want to shoot, focus on the area you want to shoot and let the pin naturally float to where it should be.

If that doesn't work and you are still really struggling, try blank bale shooting as someone above suggested. Get back to the fundamentals and not worrying about hitting a specific spot helps.

Are you shooting dots/bullseyes or shooting at a 3d/animal vitals style target? When I'm struggling shooting at a 3d/vitals style target I tend to beat myself up more and get more frustrated (I think to myself "if that was really a deer I woulda missed, or wounded it!"). To combat this i got back to shooting at dots to regain my confidence and/or form (If you miss a dot who cares? you can't wound a dot). It might sound kinda silly but i find it surprisingly helpful. Anyways good luck and whatever you do don't give up!