HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help with my target panic!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 AM
kickin_buck
Nontypical Buck

Anyone who has shot a bow for any amout of time has had to deal with target panic and some don't even realize it.

First, I think going to a BT release for hunting would not be a good idea. I know some are able to hunt with BT, but for most it is not a good idea. Just think, you draw and then have to hold for an extended period of time, with BT?

Here are a couple of exercises I have used in the past to help me, in fact, I start the 3D year by doing these before I ever start worrying about where the arrrow goes.

Blind bail shooting - Stand close to the target with either your eyes closed or with your sight off of your bow. The idea is to relearn the feel of a proper draw, anchor and release. This take time and doing it just one afternoon is not going to be a huge help. A week or two of doing this multiple times will help you get that "feel" back.

Next, stand close to the target (with sight on), draw and hold your pin on the spot you want to hit, but DO NOT RELEASE. You have to retrain your brain not to punch the trigger everytime your pin begins to settle. Draw and hold 4 or 5 times without releasing and then release. Do this several times, changing the time you actually release. Again, this is not an over night fix. Do this from 5 yards for a few days and then step back to 10 yards, working your way back to 20 or 25 yards.

TP can be hard to beat, so hard in fact some never do beat and start driveby shooting, but it CAN be beat. It just takes time and the willingness to do what needs to be done.

Good luck