Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should A New Rest = A Change in Arrow Specs? >

Should A New Rest = A Change in Arrow Specs?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should A New Rest = A Change in Arrow Specs?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Spike

Default Should A New Rest = A Change in Arrow Specs?

I shoot a Parker Compound. 55lbs draw weight with a 26 inch draw legnth. I just switched from a whisker biscuit rest to a ripcord drop away rest. I have noticed that I have alot more room between the rest and the endtip of my arrows.Should I get my arrows shortened an inch or so in order to stiffin them up to increase arrow speed? I'm also considering switching to blazer veins this year instead of my standard 4 inch veins. What do you guys think?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should A New Rest = A Change in Arrow Specs?

Switching to Blazers is fine. Changing the length of your arrows will change the effective spine and that could affect arrow flight.

If they are flying good I'd leave them alone. Any gain you get in speed will be minimal anyway.

Dan
Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Spike

Will the blazers give me a better arrow flight?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: concordmountaineer

Maybe, I have two sets of arrows, one fletched with blazers another with 4inch duravanes, and they both shoot exactly the same for me.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Without a doubt! I use blazers for hunting and for 3D, I shoot long distances ( 60 + yards)as well and find blazers give me a more stable flight.

As far as cutting down your arrow MeanV is right, it could change your spine, but you will also lose total arrow weight. I like to shoot heavy for hunting-543 total arrow weight, with 220 grain muzzy giving me 21 % FOC.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The blazers may or may not give you better arrow flight. They fly very well...typically as well as most other vanes that are longer. The thing with the blazers is they will hold up better for you with the biscuit. I would use them (or any stiff, short HP vane) for durability. I agree with MeanV...cutting the arrow isn't really gonna gain you much if anything. Make sure to get that biscuit set up correctly, and you will love it.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Parker Compound. 55lbs draw weight with a 26 inch draw legnth. I just switched from a whisker biscuit rest to a ripcord drop away rest. I have noticed that I have alot more room between the rest and the endtip of my arrows.Should I get my arrows shortened an inch or so in order to stiffin them up to increase arrow speed? I'm also considering switching to blazer veins this year instead of my standard 4 inch veins. What do you guys think?
You really aren't going to gain much in Arrow Speed by cutting an inch off. You'd be well served to get some Blazers on your arrows as they'll go through that WB as well as anything. And to the original question, NO, changing your rest ain't gonna change your needed arrow specs.