Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting at 50 yards >

shooting at 50 yards

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting at 50 yards

Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default shooting at 50 yards

ok, let's not be too modest, I'm a good shot at 18 yards and 25 yards, shooting an average of 9.4 on a fita target with my hunting rig.
At 30 yards I still have an average of 9.2 but I shot a short metric tournament which goes out to 50 yards ( actually meters ) my arrows go all over the place.
No real line in the errors I make, the arrows go in every direction inbetween the red and the yellow ring.
Any tips guys ? I have several arrows that don't make the same trajectory on this kind of distance, while at 25 meters they hit bull's eye.
No wind at the time of shooting.
Set up; 82nd at 28" with 57,5 #
FMJ's 400 with 125gr bulletpoints
Qad Ultra hunter rest

I know for most 50 yards is a "no go" shot but I like to know that I can shoot these kind of distances. Because 40 yards is almost 50 yards and I don't like to have doubts when I'm aiming at an animal.

Frank
Old 06-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shooting at 50 yards

Try shooting the same arrow 5 times in a row. Mark each spot on your target. That will tell you ifthe arrows are causingthe inconsistency. If you group it well, then you'll know that it's either your shooting, or something else on your setup. At least you would be able eliminate one variable.

I know it's alot of walking, but everyone can use a little exercise. Right?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't care what #-age you've got it set on. When compared to other bows, the 82nd is a beast to draw.

Try shooting your 50yd end earlier in your practice session. You may be tired when you get to the end that requires you to be the most steady.

Just my .02
Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

at 50 yards you really notice the inconsistencies in form or flight. do like they say and use one arrow and do it fresh . this is why most won't shot at an animal that far
Old 06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a sharpie and number your arrows and you'llbe ableto see if it's you or if it's the same couple ofarrows. Are all of your arrows the same type and spine? I have a couple of different types of arrows and some weight about 100 grains more than the others. They fly to the same spot out to about 25 yards, by the time they go 40 yards the heavier ones drop about 8" more.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's been my experience that while trying to work in any longer range rig that you MUST key in on critical bow tuning and form issues. I've seen coutless archers totally change their game when these factors were corrected and honestly, most shooters and their rigs need the improvements.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I have noticed is the size of the aiming spot matters! When my pin covers it, havea tendanc to move it to see the spot. On my block target I can shoot 20-40 on the smaller dots I have painted. At 50 I really can't, the pin covers the dot totally and something in my head won't let me hold on something I can't see. At 50 I have a bigger dot a shoot at and that solves the problem. Groups grow consistently as I back up.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

at 50 yards you really notice the inconsistencies in form or flight.
Right on!! My old arrow set up flew pretty good shooting at 15 yards but once I got out to 30 some yards they went goofy on me. It was a combination of form and too weak of spine for me. I shoot a recurve so form and arrow set ups are huge when practicing and shooting. Like Jeff said try doing the longer range shooting/practicing right away to see If It's tiredness or If you really do have some arrow/bow/form Issues.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

It's been my experience that while trying to work in any longer range rig that you MUST key in on critical bow tuning and form issues. I've seen coutless archers totally change their game when these factors were corrected and honestly, most shooters and their rigs need the improvements.
This is a great point. When I was younger, maybe 14 or 15, I didnt have much to do in the summertime other than shoot my bow and make sure my form was perfect. I could shoot baseball sized groups at 65 yards and would not have hesitated to shoot a deer at 50. The older I got, the less I shot my bow until I only would shoot it 2-3 weeks before season. What I started seeing was not only a change in the consistancy of my shots, but a change in my form alltogether. I really had a time trying to get my form down with my new bow. When I first bought my new PSE, I was not really happy with the groupings I was getting. Now, I go through a mental checklist before EVERY shot, whether it be 10 yards or 50 and I am shooting a lot better. It really is extremely important to focus on your form and practice staying in that form in order to get good at the longer range shots.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

I had a quiet afternoon to practice my 50 yards shot. I shot every arrow 5 times to eliminate the bad arrows. After done that I took my shot sequence notes and nailed them on a board next to me. The size of the spot you aim on went on to be one of the key factors of me shooting larger groups. Once I made the target larger I kept on shooting tighter groups. Another thing that made me shoot inconstent was the sunlight on my peepsight. I can see the bubble of my level in the rest but with the sun behind me or above me I don't so I changed my anchorpoint to see the level again.
I shot around 50 arrows and then the wind picked up and made it impossible to do the finetuning.
I noticed at 30 yards that my groups are more left than at 50 yards which means I need to walkback tune the rest again.
I felt too confident shooting 18 to 25 yards but now I really think I need to retune completely. I'm going to restring the bow and change the cables, after that a whole build up from zero.
I'm going to add the 30 and 50 yards into the tuning process to get a finer result.
The tips you gave me helped me out, so thanks...

Frank

Quick Reply: shooting at 50 yards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.