Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting at 50 yards >

shooting at 50 yards

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting at 50 yards

Old 06-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shooting at 50 yards

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

I had a quiet afternoon to practice my 50 yards shot. I shot every arrow 5 times to eliminate the bad arrows. After done that I took my shot sequence notes and nailed them on a board next to me. The size of the spot you aim on went on to be one of the key factors of me shooting larger groups. Once I made the target larger I kept on shooting tighter groups. Another thing that made me shoot inconstent was the sunlight on my peepsight. I can see the bubble of my level in the rest but with the sun behind me or above me I don't so I changed my anchorpoint to see the level again.
I shot around 50 arrows and then the wind picked up and made it impossible to do the finetuning.
I noticed at 30 yards that my groups are more left than at 50 yards which means I need to walkback tune the rest again.
I felt too confident shooting 18 to 25 yards but now I really think I need to retune completely. I'm going to restring the bow and change the cables, after that a whole build up from zero.
I'm going to add the 30 and 50 yards into the tuning process to get a finer result.
The tips you gave me helped me out, so thanks...

Frank
Aim small, Miss small.

What peep do you shoot? I found bad glare in the G5 (blue) peeps and did away with them, went back to a Tru Peep.

Are you shooting on flat ground with no slope? If you have slope are watching your level?

Old 06-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Rob,

I tried the G5 and the metapeeps and didn't like the blue as well.
I liked the shurz-a-peep but using three strands of string didn't cut it for me, so I machined a peep myself, the same as a shurz-a-peep but with two strands of string.
This gives me a thick black circle in which I center my sight. Since the hole in the peep is coneshaped I sometimes have some light that reflects on the inside wall of the peep.
I rely on my anchorpoint now when this happens.
I shoot on a flat target range but I never have used my level.
One thing that my have interfered is that I shot my longbow a lot before training this kind of distances.....

F.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

at 50 yards you really notice the inconsistencies in form or flight. do like they say and use one arrow and do it fresh . this is why most won't shot at an animal that far
Bingo..
I shot only 20-30-40 yrds for yrs(26)and then last yr started doing 50 and 60 yards(for mule deer and goats) and man was it ugly,I hit vitals but with no consistancy then I focused on my form and wow now I can do 30-40-50-60 with out having 2nd thoughts..
I felt like it was my 1st time shooting a bow when I went 50-60 and I thought my form was good.......
Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

I am thinking the same thing, I am second best shot when it comes to under 30yard shots, I pick coinsize dots and x them. But I want to have the confidence to make these long shots, not that I am ever going to make them in real life situations.
But my mind needs to know I can. I am going to up the trainingprogram and work on form after the bow's set up properly again.

thx for the info

F.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

You'll only get good at the longer distances with tons of practice. So keep at it. Bow/arrow tuning is critical, and so is brain tuning. It is difficult to get really good at the longer distances with todays short ATA hunting bows, so your form/release and follow through have to spot on to get the accuracy you want. I would think abou a different peep, such as the Tru Peep or even a Superpeep so you can change hole diameters to get the light and clarity you shoot the best with.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

I personally think that every bowhunter should have practice rounds going to 50 yards.
I thought my bow was set and everything tuned but after going to 50 yards I discovered there was still a lot to fine tune on bow and on the arrows I use. And my form wasn't 100%. When I filmed myself on the 25 yard shots I saw myself dropping the bow down too fast which doesn't make any differenceat 25 yards. At 50 yards the arrows drop down almost 3" when I did that.
Another thing I noticed is that my confidence is very high even on these long shots now that I shoot tight groups of 3" and less.
I had to reset the rest and the backwall of my 82nd and now 2 out of 3 arrows hit bull's eye at 50 yards.
Another critical issue was my poundage, I went from 55 to 57,5 and those 2,5 pounds did make a big difference in drawing back my airborne. I shot around 500 arrows to get the feel backthat I owned the bow and not the other way around......
I might put up the little youtube clip with my practice.

I must say that once again all the intel and answers helped me out.
Now I need to get an animal in my sight and shoot it.
If all goes well maybe this fall..........

Frank

Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot as far back as 60 yards all the time. I like it because it really shows your errors. People allways tell me to never ever even shoot my bow past 30 yards ever. they don't even like any one practicing farther out than 30 because (and I am quoting dumbut here) "they could use it in a hunting situation, and that is why I don't even like people PRACTICING past 30 yards" (end quote) and this was on MY LAND!!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

You're absolutely right about showing not only the shooter's error but any faulty equipment or bowtuning issues will become more aparant at 50 yards or more.

F.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Switchback_XT

I shoot as far back as 60 yards all the time. I like it because it really shows your errors. People allways tell me to never ever even shoot my bow past 30 yards ever. they don't even like any one practicing farther out than 30 because (and I am quoting dumbut here) "they could use it in a hunting situation, and that is why I don't even like people PRACTICING past 30 yards" (end quote) and this was on MY LAND!!
That is hilarious!!!

Imo, if you plan to shoot ANYTHING foam or hunting seriously, you need to be profficient shooting about 20yds past your planned shooting. I LIKE to be able to shoot pretty well at 60, adn ok at 70, but that is really where i start to fall apart. but it makes 50 seem like 30 after about 15 shots.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Banned

my tip ?

shoot a recurve for 2 weeks, then go back to the compound and you'll be tickled to death with the incredibly easy accuracy you have with it

Quick Reply: shooting at 50 yards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.