Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Woods deer low population >

Big Woods deer low population

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Woods deer low population

Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Big Woods deer low population

ok guys and gals question BIG woods bow hunting with lower deer populations whats the best bet for getting them big New Englandmnt. whitetails where i hunt theres houses and the like so i can funal them here they dont need to be funaled so can do what ever they want whats the best bet for getting set up on some deer i know where the deer are but with no trails and speratic patterns whats my best bet. This is in Grafton VT around 10000 acers of forestry land and swamps for me to hunt i can go out for 2 days and not see another person if i want so just wondering what a good bet will be.

p.s Im away for Army Drill this weekend so wont be able to reply but i appreate all input and will respond monday when i get back Thank You alot for info

matt
Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big Woods deer low population

Bigpile of corn always works great.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer we hunt are pretty much big woods deer. There is no cropland for about 5 miles. Even big woods deer have to eat something. Find their food sources; acorns, beechnuts, clear cut regrowth browse, whatever. Locate the trails leading to the feeding areas.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a topo map a play the contours, saddles, benches, etc...
Post a pic of your topo and I'll take a look at it for you.
I found that 1st time hunting a new area is hit or miss, but with a good plan you'll see more activity!
Will you be able to spend any time scouting in the next 1-2 months?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I found that 1st time hunting a new area is hit or miss, but with a good plan you'll see more activity!
I agree! Find some pinch points and funnels by the topo and you have a good starting point. Also scout for the preferred mast crop in your area, and keep an eye on that.

Dan
Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 to Ed's advice. Some of the places you'll find lots of deer sign don't necessarily mean there will be "lots" of deer, at least during shooting hours. I made that mistake time and again before I learned.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

read a book by greg miller called bowhunting big woods bucks.I have read it twice now and I still don't really have a clue. Mast crops help but big woods bucks do alot of browsing so a key is to be able to identify the different food sources that they browse on, which is easier said then done, and more importantly when the deer are switching from one food source to another.If their is any logging in the area that helps as the deer will gravitate to clear cuts as this provides alot of regenerated growth for browse with easy access.If you have swamp areas that is always a good start,especially during the rut as the bucks will be cruising the areas that does frequent or live and a swamp is as good as any.I can't think of any more of the book to regurgitate at the moment, if you want to give the book a read pm me your address and I will send it out(not til next week as I am on vacation this week and the book is at my office.)
Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I feel for the most part this wopuld be correct. The thing I watch for also is hardwood trees bearing nuts. Deer love to eat nuts. I like to keep an eye around swampy areas where they can come out to the hardwoods for something to eat. Also just after a rain the deer seem to like to come out into the hardwood ridges to lay around. I would keep in mind though that the rut will change alot of things on you. Also keep in mind how large or small the coyote population is. Coyotes can make a deer change it's habit quite frequently.. Although IMO the best place to keep an eye on is where swamp and hardwoods come together with small ridges for the deer to travel threw.. Good Luck to you..