Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fawn distress call. >

Fawn distress call.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fawn distress call.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Spike

Default Fawn distress call.

I was wondering, have any of you guys used this call during the early opening season? I figured since the fawns are still close with mom this time, I would think it would be very effective. Has anyone had success or none at all with this call? I plan on using one this year just to try my luck!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fawn distress call.

I've tried it before and one time I had a big old doe come flying right by me. Head up in the air and ears straight up. I should use it more often.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried it a couple times. Once a doe came running. Another time I spotted a small buck and tried the call to observe his reaction. He couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Spike

Seems as though that here in WV you can get a big fat doe to come in every now and then but more times than not your just as prone to calling in curious Coyote with his tongue hanging out.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Itried it acouple oftimes last fall. In late OctoberI messed around with it for the first time and had a nicered-coloredcoyote come in. He wascleverand circled around to getwind of , and that was it..[:-]

I did have one doe come in at the end of early archery season last year also. She looked confused and didn't stay around long.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

I had a young buck come charging at me late October, it was rainy and miserable and he ran right at the tree stood and looked confused and ran off...I'm gonna try it again this september/october as well.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The main difference between a Fawn Distress and a Pleading doe is duration and tone, get that tone a little lower and the duration of the call itself a little shorter with the pauses a little longer, and you oughta be able to lure a "Horny" buck with it if he's not wise to calls yet. The Fawn Distress ain't gonna bring many bucks as they could care less for the most part, but it'll crack a does' motherly instinct in a second. I busted a herd apart once during gun season with a young hunter with me and we used the fawn distress, and damn near got ran over by a Mama trying to find her baby. And let me tell you, she was not a very happy camper about the whole situation. The kid was never even able to get a shot off, but he thought he was gonna get trampled. Coyotes for sure like the fawn distress call, and but I've not seen it do very well for bucks in my area.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have used them here in VA in the early Urban Season(population control season in Sept) and have had great success. I have called several does with the distress call. It is funny to watch a doe come into the call and see the motherly instincts. They will start walking away because they cant find the fawn and I hit the call and they come running back in looking all confused trying to locate where the call came from. They have even busted me in the treestand but will still come in when they here the call. A couple of years ago had a small buck and a doe feeding in a field about a 100 yds away. I thought the doe was a button buck or really small spike so I decided to try the fawn distress call to see if I would get a reaction. The small buck stayed in the field and the doe come charging in to about 50 yds looking for the source, she lost interest when she couldn't find it and starting feeding again. Two more times on the call and she was standing below my stand at 8 yds for nice short shot.

So to answer your question I believe they work for both does and coyotes but only for does in the early season, I haven't had much success after mid October with them.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I've heard, it seems that it's primarily gonna call in frantic does looking for their "youngin." That in itselfcould begood, but usually, these does are very excited, upset and jumpy. Seems to me that they would be much more likely to jump the string if you're even able to get one stopped long enough to attempt a shot.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a great coyote call!!!

It's dragged a few Doe's in as well

Quick Reply: Fawn distress call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.