Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any tips?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Default any tips?

[blockquote]
My boy is 5 and is absolutely hooked on archery! Everyday when I come home from work he is begging me to take him out and let him shoot! I have had to turn on my headlights on several occasions so he can see to shoot! I'm his dad so of course I think he is really good!, but I want to get the opinion of some of the best archers in the world! So naturally, I came here! Carson started to get bored with just shooting bullseyes so I got creative! This is my first child, so it's my first time teaching someone to shoot! I would appreciate any advice! Here is a pic of Carson when he just started shooting, at the time he was shooting without sights! You can see what he is doing already at youtube, remember he has only been shooting for 4 months! just search for archercarson, or you can try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4bkJ9W8fxc, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxz84eyA884, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPQ-W...eature=related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXarR...eature=related

[/blockquote]
Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: any tips?

So are you saying he's going to be a world champion or he is the best there is .
Old 05-29-2009, 03:39 AM

I'm saying I want him to keep improving and that I would like some advice on how to help him do that!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Keep practice sessions short. It's better to shoot a few good arrows with good form than to fling a hundred and allow his form etc. to get sloppy.

Make sure he is shooting correctly. Enlist the aid of a good coach if necessary. Bad habits once formed can be extremely hard to break.

Dan
Old 05-31-2009, 02:29 AM
Typical Buck

Keep it fun and interesting. Don't force him to do anything. I can't help you with form. Mine is literally disgusting. My elbow will bend in unnatural positions. May post a pic of it someday just t freak people out. My son is only five months old and i hope he gets addicted to hunting and fishing too!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:23 AM

I don't have any kids, but it looks like you're doing everthing right. You're making archery fun and exciting for your son, that's all that should matter at that age. Keep making archery fun and keep posting those videos.

Paul

Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Booney160

I don't have any kids, but it looks like you're doing everthing right. You're making archery fun and exciting for your son, that's all that should matter at that age. Keep making archery fun and keep posting those videos.

Paul
When I taught my 2 daughters to shoot I blew up little balloons for them to shoot at and pop.

It increased the Fun aspect as well as their concentration. They Loved popping those balloons.

Only trouble, as they got better Dad got tired of blowing all the balloons up.

Dan