Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BROADHEAD AND ARROW PENETRATION 101 >

BROADHEAD AND ARROW PENETRATION 101

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BROADHEAD AND ARROW PENETRATION 101

Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BROADHEAD AND ARROW PENETRATION 101

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

when I shot compounds I was wrapped up in it all too, I've been there, done that and have since dropped the compound and discovered real bowhunting
I agree with Dan. Comments like these are what makes for huge debates and unneccessary conflicts among hunters. We are all hunters out there no matter what and we are all bowhunters here. Just because someone preffers one way over another doesn't mean squatt we are still bowhunters. Do what you enjoy and what makes you happy and are proud of no matter what the choice of method. Having fun is what it is all about. Its the same as bait. I wouldn't hunt over a pile ofcorn or feederbecause that style just doesnt do it for me and wouldn't be proud of that kill butI willput out a mock scrap with a dripper and such. Both are unatural forms of bait that were put there by man for the purpose of harvesting an animal. On another note there is plenty of trad shooters out their that have no buisiness shooting at live animals even though they think they do. I'm not picking on trad guys as all forms of hunting have those individuals in them that arent ready to make the clean kill, but I was just making a point that just because someone shoots trad gear doesn't make them "real" bowhunters. A real bowhunter is someone who hunts ethically and within their legal rights. WCL
Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 PM

A real bowhunter is someone who hunts ethically and within their legal rights

I agree... Some of my best friends hunt only with shotguns but I love them to death...Im a bowhunter at heart, and dont own a gun, but I do not mind what you hunt with as long as you are ethical....

To get us back on track and to touch on above. Im shooting a compound this year after shooting my recurve only last year - why ? I cannot put in the time that I want to practicing. Im not too bad a shot with a recurve but because of an arm issue am slowing down from my huge amount of shooting so thought I should shoot a compouind because I want to be sure I dont make a shot I will not be proud of.... That being said Im shooting a 550 grain arrow with a 175 grain single bevel head....
Old 05-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

MeanV2glad to hear that - almost all compounders want to talk about not being divisive and share the bowhunting love etc etc but most all of them hate crossbows - aint that something ?

eightwgt 725 grains from a compound is a great hunting combination
Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Spike

Regarding the Broadhead Penetration study by Dr Ashby - I have a little input based on my own experience.
The testing he did was mostly on Asiatic Water Buffalo. These are incredibly tough skinned animals with very thick ribs andI found itwell worthwhile selecting a broadhead and arrow setup based on his recommendations.

For buffalo (and to a lesser extent on otherbig game) I set up the arrow as follows (in order of what I deemmostimportant)
1) Weight - 800g is good tho up or down a little doesnt hurt (momentum is key here - your bow imparts more energy into a heavy arrow than a light one)
2) Broadhead - heavy, single bevel, 2 blade, tanto tip, and a long narrow profile. Its hard to push something wide with 2 bladesthru a big bone - let alone 3 blades!
3) - Everything else. I like an extreme FOC arrow with a very slim shaft - it slows a touch less on the hide/ribs, thearrow shaft isa little thickerand you get a touch better pentration (plus they look cool!)

I also like to shoot 80lbs on buff - better too much than too little =)

And I agree with the other comments re thissort of setup not being necessary on deer etc. For animals with thin skin and a lighter framei use a mechanical or 3 blade head and alighter arrow. No need to use a sledge hammer to crack a peanut =) Plus you can cut a bigger hole and pull em up much faster.
Id be interested to hear what you guys who hunt bison and elk use for an arrow/broadhead setup - but mebbe ill post it up in the other section.
cheers benno
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

This is the biggest problem in Hunting period. Infighting amongst ourselves.

Trad vs. compound

Crossbow vs. Trad vs. compound

Gun vs. bow

etc. etc. etc.

Just because one person prefers to hunt one way does not mean it's the only way to hunt. Optimum setups vary with exact equipment used. As long as you Hunt ethical and legal I'm all for you.

I definitely don't think hunting with a compound is the only way to go, but that doesn't mean I should shoot the same arrow/head combination out of my compound that a trad hunter does just because it's best for him.

The Elitist attitudes amongst Hunters needs to go. It's actually pretty sad!

Dan
Well said, Dan, very WELL SAID!!!!

In all honesty, I think Dr. Ashby is a great archer and an intelligent man, but most of us don't need that much thought put into choosing a BH. And I believe that MOST BH's will do the job if the person behind the bow does THEIR job, including "knowing their limits when choosing a BH in the first place."
Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

its an excellent study that compounders will do everything they can to devalue it

why?

they love their speed, light arrows and mechanical broadheads - to hear their equipment is anti-hunting material makes the compounders bristle.

its human nature, sorry compounders, truth hurts. when I shot compounds I was wrapped up in it all too, I've been there, done that and have since dropped the compound and discovered real bowhunting
This is the biggest problem in Hunting period. Infighting amongst ourselves.

Trad vs. compound

Crossbow vs. Trad vs. compound

Gun vs. bow

etc. etc. etc.

Just because one person prefers to hunt one way does not mean it's the only way to hunt. Optimum setups vary with exact equipment used. As long as you Hunt ethical and legal I'm all for you.

I definitely don't think hunting with a compound is the only way to go, but that doesn't mean I should shoot the same arrow/head combination out of my compound that a trad hunter does just because it's best for him.

The Elitist attitudes amongst Hunters needs to go. It's actually pretty sad!

Dan
Very well said...
I have always told other archers to stop the infighting among yourselves...you should be worrying about preserving your right to hunt period...not arguing over what you will hunt with...and as long as the State in which I am hunting declares the weapon I am using legal...then I really don't care what other people think of me...and my choice of weapons...I use every weapon listed in my signature.