Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot the Air Raid >

Shot the Air Raid

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot the Air Raid

Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot the Air Raid

So BT finally put the Air Raid out, albeit 2 or 3 months later than they orginally said they would. They sent us a 75# bow, which we did not order or ask for, but our rep did tell us he was going to put us up near the top for first send outs.... don't know if thats true or not... haven't heard from any other shops in the area as to whether they are in or not.

The bow is very well put together. Part fitting, finish and the like is a 10. Its a very good looking bow.

The draw is very smooth for a bow on the quicker side of normal. Not a typical binary cam draw cycle at all.

On the shot, there is definately some jump and vibration. I set the bow up with a QAD HD, tied in nock sets and a loop. No sights, no peep, just standard equipment. I also fiddled with the string stopper a bit to get the bow as quiet as possible, but I still wouldn't take it afield like it is... its going to need some string leeches or something. A stabilizer will probably dampen the vibration quite a bit.

As to speeds, ours is a 29" 75# bow, and since neither I nor anyone else I know of has any desire to shoot the 80# whitetails in our part of the world with such a thing, I cranked it back to 65#s.

Beman ICS 400 - 382gr = 289 fps
Maxima Hunter 250 - 395gr = 285fps
Maxima Hunter 350 - 424gr = 276fps

The BC on the bow said at 29/75 with a 375gr arrow it shot 322 fps. Based on the numbers from that ICS being 7 gr heavier... 10#s isn't going to boost it 30fps... half that at best. Its still extremely smooth on the draw for being relatively quick. And with a 7" brace height it should be a nice alternative for hunters who don't want a watch eater for the tree stand, but still want to capitalize on speed.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot the Air Raid

My shop got theirs in as well tonite- I did draw it twice, but did not shoot it- I'm shooting lefty now, and am refraining from shooting any RH bows if I can help it.

To add to your review SC (instead of starting yet another thread on this bow- though I can/will if you'd prefer?)

* For 76 pounds it was pretty smooth- Much Nicer transitions than Center-Trak cams and def not like the 82nds. But not nearly as nice as the Ross Carnivore at similar weight. My shop owner kept going about how smooth it was for the weight. He's a pretty harsh critic like myself. I'll agree it was very good for a binary- somewhat similar to the Z3s on a Hoyt Katera.

*I like the old 1 pc grip on this bow-more squared, and easily repeatable than the sideplates (IMO)

* There were some issues with the finish on this one- [:'(]
The limbs were not in-velvet, only the riser was done (or maybe the reverse I can't recall now, lol). WTF?
There was dried black epoxy goop on the supressor arm where it hits the wider attachment piece (squirted out ). Sloppy.
The roller guard rollers had very sharp edges and were dinged up/scarred around the entire diameter- again- sloppy.
There were some scratches on the limb pockets and whatnot-small but again, sloppy.

*The riser was nearly identical in geometry to the Diamond Nitrous sitting on the shelf- just the cutouts were shaped/placed differently.

*There was no serial number on the bow- Birth Cert said "N/A"- my dealer sarcastically said "This is great for dealers who want to cheat the system and sell it over the internet". We did not pull it apart to see if a serial number was in a limb pocket or such. (He tried to call John H. @ Bowtech to get confirmation, but "Johnny BowTech" was out of the office today)

*Visually it's obvious the bow is quick, and I was impressed with the lack of noise while the owner shot it. He said it had a little vibe/pulse in the hand- " nicer than the 82nd " was his comment- felt that a good stab and some limbsavers would easily take care of it.

Overall-pretty nice, but put together kinda sloppy-def not up to par with the Admiral I had earlier this year- this Air Raid was "rushed" . I was more impressed with the Ross Carnivore and Rytera Alien-X.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the honest opinion Jeff, though I wish you had shot it. This bow has so many mixed reviews as of late I don't know what to think. I have one coming, but I guess the proof will be in the puddin. If I like it, it stays and gets dipped. If I don't, it's an 08 Ally or an 09 Marquis I believe.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

Thanks for the honest opinion Jeff, though I wish you had shot it. This bow has so many mixed reviews as of late I don't know what to think. I have one coming, but I guess the proof will be in the puddin. If I like it, it stays and gets dipped. If I don't, it's an 08 Ally or an 09 Marquis I believe.
I WANTED to shoot it Ben- but learning how to shoot lefty again, I just really don't want to be confusing my muscle memory[&:]

Hopefully the finish issues are just a fluke for this one- it's not horrendous, but with the insane prices of high end bows today- $850 to $1000 for some, I personally cannot excuse slop, whether it affects how the bow shoots or not. The Alien X is a good $200- $250 cheaper than the rest and so I can cut it some slack.