Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how many years

Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how many years

techniclly I would have to say my second season,although my first season consisted of just one bowhunt,the offseason I got serious about it and bought a new bow and setup and that year I killed4 deer with my bow,3bucks and 1 doe.My first buck ever was with a bow and up until that time only gun hunted,I was 22 yrs old when I started bowhunting.I still gun hunt but I have killed more bucks with my bow than with my gun.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

I shot one on opening night my first year. A small doe.. I was very very lucky and I have been hooked ever since. I have never shot a deer with my shotgun here in MI though.... I have hunted hard, morning and night, and still have had no luck with the Remington. I have recorded 4 bow kills in the last three years. Guess I'll stick to bowhunting!!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was my 3rd season. In the late 60's early 70's the deer were few and far between in this area.

It is not unusual for me to see more deer now in a week of hunting than I would see all 3 months of the season back then

Dan
Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

I took my first deer on my 2nd season it was a little spike,but it could've been a huge 8 point the way i felt......

Old 04-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OneMustFall

I took my first deer on my 2nd season it was a little spike,but it could've been a huge 8 point the way i felt......
I know what you mean! I don't think there is anything like the 1st one!

Dan
Old 04-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: OneMustFall

I know what you mean! I don't think there is anything like the 1st one!

Dan
You got that right guys!!! Good stuff!!

As for myself I was 13 years old when I took my 1st deer. I started bowhunting at 12 years old but only went out a handful of times my 1st year. The 2nd year I was much more Into It and I was able to shoot a young deer the 2nd evening out that year. The good old days!!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Nothing my first season (hunted 1/2 the season).

Took 5 whitetailsthe second season; 9 whitetails and 1 turkeythe third season and 7 whitetailslast year.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it was my 3rd season. A lot of work. In fact, my first bowkill was the first rack I kept of any buck I had ever killed. Since that buck I have kept all my buck racks.

Year 1 I missed on an awesome 8 pointer at sundown. Shot low at 20 yards.

Year 2 I missed on a beautiful 8 pointer I called with a doe bleat. I shot into gues what.....his rack!

Year 3, mid-season I began to have serious doubts about my hunting abilities. Luckily I set up about 20 feet high in a tree bordering a creek and buck leaped over the creek chasing after a doe. I shot him at less than 1 yard with a gut shot. Then the 7-8 tracking job was on until I finally found him! Talk about a sense of pride and relief. I caught the bow bug that day and haven't looked back.

Most of my problems stemmed from the fact that I was not set up close enough to thicker cover and I was rushing my shots because I was not confident in my hunting/shooting abilities with my bow.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:52 AM

it took me a few months after i started bow hunting. i started 9 years ago.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

about a month in 2008 im 15

Quick Reply: how many years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.